Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

no wall details on plan just framing

Gus
Newcomer
I have made a profile for a wall. In plan it is more complex than what is needed to show a framer where to put walls. Is there a way for me to turn off these details in the plan but not in the sections and elevations
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
Gus wrote:
I have made a profile for a wall. In plan it is more complex than what is needed to show a framer where to put walls. Is there a way for me to turn off these details in the plan but not in the sections and elevations
This is equivalent to the frequent question about being able to turn off skins of composites, which is a very old item on the wish list.

The only method today is through the disciplined use of pen assignments in custom pen tables. Basically, you assign a specific pen to the wall 'core' and other pen(s) to the additional skin/component contours and fills.

In the pen table for your working view, all of these pens display as some visible color.

In the pen table for your drawing, the skin/component/fill pens are set to white/screen/ or invisible.

As you can imagine, the result will not be anywhere close to the ideal, because there will be some gaps in the white-pen version and other little anomolies.

If you export the result as dwg to a consultant, they'll freak. 😞

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
You could also model your framing separately and put it on a special layer you can turn on and off as needed.

There is always the wall framing acccessory tool.

And there is also an add-on from CADGarage http://www.cadgarage.com/wafrma.html you can use, but it is about $500.00

Use walls. Make your walls for plate 1 1/2" high. Make your walls for studs 1 1/2" wide. Same for special sheathing. Make you walls for plywood 1/2" thick or what ever. Headers also use walls.

If you need some help with that. E-mail me your wall and I will frame it for you and send it back. It may not be exactly as you want it but you can tweak it to work I am sure.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

__archiben
Booster
Steve wrote:
And there is also an add-on from CADGarage http://www.cadgarage.com/wafrma.html you can use, but it is about $500.00.
that's the cadimage wall framing tool - you can get it direct from their website too.

she's quite an impressive beast . . .

~/archiben
framing.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Gus
Newcomer
Thank you for your help. I'm thinking about getting one of those wall or framing programs/add ons that you mentioned. However, I don't want spend the $ unless it can definitely solve my original problem, which was to show only the framing in plan instead of all the other parts of the wall (like the stucco and trim etc.)? The frame is all we want to show in plan because (in a residence at least) none of the other stuff matters to the builders (in Plan). It does matter in the Building Sections, Wall Sections, and Elevations though, so I don't want to throw the whole wall profiles thing out the window if there is a chance to change how they look in Plan.

Thanks
Again
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
__archiben
Booster
Gus wrote:
The frame is all we want to show in plan because (in a residence at least) none of the other stuff matters to the builders (in Plan). It does matter in the Building Sections, Wall Sections, and Elevations though, so I don't want to throw the whole wall profiles thing out the window if there is a chance to change how they look in Plan.
well the framing elements can be placed on their own layer, but what you're asking can be accomplished through the use of dedicated pensets... when you set your composites up, assign a specific range of pens for the 'finish' skins. once the drawing is placed on a layout simply assign an alternative penset to the drawing which has the 'finish' range of pens set to white. it's not ideal but it works.

being able to show 'core only' for composite walls is one of the longest long standing wishes on the forum here . . . maybe graphisoft will listen next time . . ?

you can of course use a combination of pensets and the framing add-ons such that you pull boost all of your framing elements and grey-out the rest, (in the screenshot, the walls are on a hidden layer . . .)

~/archiben

framing.png
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup