Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

open GL, grayscale? Fill patterns assigned to textures?

Jefferson
Participant
I have been avoiding using open GL for quite some time.........it still seems very "computer game like" to me, with textures turned off it's a bit "cartoony". Perhaps it's the funky colors without the textures from my fill patterns I miss the most, but the speed is increasingly hard to resist.

So a two fold question: is there a way to assign my fill type patterns to textures in the materials dialogue so they would appear in open GL as they do in shading or hidden line w/ the AC engine, or, at a minimum, is there a way to have it go grayscale sans textures?

All of my rendering work is done in sketch mode so I have no concerns about L/W type rendering or the ultimate effects on materials in that regard.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
4 REPLIES 4
__archiben
Booster
Jefferson wrote:
I have been avoiding using open GL for quite some time.........it still seems very "computer game like" to me, with textures turned off it's a bit "cartoony". Perhaps it's the funky colors without the textures from my fill patterns I miss the most, but the speed is increasingly hard to resist.
hi jeff

yeah - the openGL implementation is pretty far from "professional" standard in my opinion - (it's only with AC11 that we're going to be getting translucency when far cheaper, low-end apps have had it for years). and if you look at some of the openGL standards webpages you will see that it's missing a lot of what it could do, (openGL can even handle real-time radiosity!)

but that shouldn't stop you actually working in openGL mode to take advantage of the speed, and generating your shaded and hidden line views with their vectorial hatching in the 3D window when you need them?

ACE is working on a set of materials that will hopefully become the international archicad default with AC11 - fingers crossed, and huge thanks to andy! - whereby all of the rendering engines have their materials synched (thus the openGL texture unit size will match the vectorial shading unit size will match the lightworks unit size) - it's a huge failing that GS have singularly failed to do this themselves for such "high-end" software.

he's already posted a v1 release for AC10 here . . . and should be nominated for cad-manager of the year for his efforts!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Jefferson
Participant
G'Day Mr. Frost!

I know, I know, holding out on open GL is like tying one hand behind my back. I literally object to the interface, at least in it's "stock" format, that much. I tend to see it is a very amateurish looking video game and have a tough time even enjoying working with it. Kind of like it must have been before there was 3D I have turned off the textures which greatly improves it, IMO, but there's still room..........but all things change eh? Adjust and adapt. Perhaps a drastic improvement on the interface, what I see in my 3D window will change my tone...........

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded the .pln files, and looks like there are some rather specific instructions to be followed before "just" opening them up, so a bit of reading to do. Hopefully this weekend. It all sounds pretty great. sounds like Andy had some help from all the right people.

edit: Got the files opened + copied etc. Pretty nice work for sure but still the "look". It also appears that this could seriously mess with my template by rewriting all my materials, unless I am missing something. I make some inquiries with Mr. Noosa and get his two bits............

Just found out friends have a place in Kerikeri. You may get those beers I owe you sometime within the next decade
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

__archiben
Booster
Jefferson wrote:
G'Day Mr. Frost!
gudday!
I know, I know, holding out on open GL is like tying one hand behind my back. I literally object to the interface, at least in it's "stock" format, that much. I tend to see it is a very amateurish looking video game and have a tough time even enjoying working with it. Kind of like it must have been before there was 3D I have turned off the textures which greatly improves it.
it's a necessary evil jeff. it doesn't look "nice" compared with the AIRE shading, but it's a helluva time-saver to work with! and with a little sideways thinking, (openGL image underlaid behind a quick (no shadows) sketch render combined with the creative use of layer blending in PS), can get some pretty passable 'loose' illustrations in double-quick time.
edit: Got the files opened + copied etc. Pretty nice work for sure but still the "look". It also appears that this could seriously mess with my template by rewriting all my materials, unless I am missing something. I make some inquiries with Mr. Noosa and get his two bits............
it will mess with your template. but going forward it will at least give materials a chance to flourish in all environments. it means that you can work in openGL to get the texture mapping right and have that automatically propagate through to your sketch, lightworks and internal rendering engines. it'll rock the boat for sure, ("don't rock the boat, baby!").
Just found out friends have a place in Kerikeri. You may get those beers I owe you sometime within the next decade
right country . . . wrong island. the beer will be warm by the time it gets down here!

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Jefferson
Participant
G'Day, Gidday, Gudday............you say tamato, I say tomatoe...... At least the intention is clear! I'd imagine you'll be coming North then for those beverages. I don't recall offering delivery or paper - scissors - rock.

Now messing with my template, as in restructuring the whole thing, that's going to take a back seat. There's money making work to be done. It'll be the next upgrade template me thinks.

I'm with you on the double quick renderings. The no shading sketch over a watercolor filtered LW rendering, but it's the shadows that set 'em off. Obviously I am coming around in my perspective about the value/merits of the openGL, just seems like I can't stop whining. Any ideas on the other side of the question, grayscale? Or is that the same thing a rewrite of my materials?
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory