Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

problem when i insert the Gsm external source library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, some times i need to use external source rather than library of archicad and depositary inside the forum.
so when i import it i see the loading take time and the preview of it in library decrease the performance.
can anyone recommend something, i am finally able to treat the 2d symbol of it by deleting the 2d script of the object and give it 2d symbols in the original location but what about 3d of the object that is too heavy
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are importing complex 3DS (or other) models there is little you can do to simplify them after import. What I do is to open the file in the native program (or compatible 3D modeler) simplify it there and then export to ArchiCAD.

If you have SketchUp Pro this works well for all the crazy detailed stuff in the warehouse.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Yes , Great idea Matthew how i was not think like this ? Do you decrease the number of polygons like in 3d max so you can decrease its heavy geomtry or make material resolution applied to object less quality or what is usually you do to avoid this problems ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
also sometimes i do not have except gsm format. there is no 3ds for it shall i export it to 3ds from archicad and simplify it there?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's the polygons that really matter.

ArchiCAD does a good job with the textures and you can tweak these after import anyway. In fact ArchiCAD can handle larger texture maps than other programs (Navis is limited to about 2500 pixels wide last I checked) and performance seems to be good even with huge texture maps. I often use high res aerial imagery on my site models. I recently used one 8317x5510 pixels (though I also made medium and low res versions for export to other team members).

Another cool trick with textures is you can make high, medium and low res copies and switch between them as necessary. Just load the desired folder as a linked library (don't embed them) and make sure the file names match in each folder. ArchiCAD will automatically use the loaded texture (OpenGL may require a refresh though after switching).
Anonymous
Not applicable
ahmed_hassan wrote:
also sometimes i do not have except gsm format. there is no 3ds for it shall i export it to 3ds from archicad and simplify it there?
This should work. Of course the devil is in the details. Just avoid DWG wherever possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
great thanks for this information Do you mean of avoiding DWG the 3d comes from DWG
Anonymous
Not applicable
If the source file is DWG then you obviously can't avoid it (unless another format is also available). There may be good things you can do to it in 3D Studio. I'm not that familiar with it.