Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

problem with archicad 10 (anyhelp?)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi friends hopefully you can tell me whats going on with this , i have been experimenting some problems when i am working in archicad ( iam using an update from version 9 to 10) for a while, when i choose , 3d view or fotorrendering , the archicad closes unexpected, then a dialog box appears showing open the archicad file again , i have to say this never happen to me before , but lately .

thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
To do this, are you using a keyboard command or an item on a menu list?
If a keyboard command, which one?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight , when iam navigating between 3d views and fotorrenderings i am only using , the menu bars , 3d view, & fotorrendering , directly with mouse click , i have to say that when the fotorrendering in process window is working , the system goes down unexpected ( this happens afther i did , about to say something : 5 to 7 3d views & fotorrenders ) and if i dont have saved the drawing changes , i lose all my last work.

afther that ,i open the file again , but another warning window shows ,the next info : the current file is in use , you can open to read only , or open with exclusive use of (or something like that, sorry i really dont remember the exact words )
Dwight
Newcomer
From what you describe, it seems that Archicad is "crashing." The message you receive afterward is normal when restarting Archicad after a crash.

The demand of five to seven views with several photorenderings open is not unusual.

I suspect that you have a corrupted element in the model or a RAM problem.

Certainly, while i have experenced crashing with Archicad during rendering, your situation is new to me.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwigth , well iam using MAC OS X ( tiger ) 1GB ram , i could have problems with this Ram capacity ? and what do you mean a corrupted element , could i found it ?
Djordje
Ace
Expanding RAM will help; I don't think that you have a corrupt element, just not enough memory in the computer for what you are using it for.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Djordje, i think i have enough memory yet ,

current capacity : 232.76 GB
available on HD : 210.32 GB
used : 22.44 GB

i have erase , some of my last items , like , GDL objects and some texture files , to try to figure out , wich one could be the problem , and has been continou working in my design with relatively normally so far.

thanks for your help
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Expanding RAM will help; I don't think that you have a corrupt element, just not enough memory in the computer for what you are using it for.
Yes I agree, expanding memory might help solve the problem if it is indeed 'the' problem. 3djunior....I also suspect it might be a corrupt element in the 3d model. I tell you this because I have experienced the same thing with archicad 9 just about 2 weeks ago on my mac at work. Except that it did not crash and close archicad....instead it 'hanged' and was not responding, after having repeated the same process 3 times, I was convinced that it had to be something in the model because when I rendered in other views with certain layers turned on it would render fine...no problem, but when I tried to render this one particular view with its own different layers turned on (for rendering purposes), it would hang and not respond forever. So, as an experiment, I erased things that were shown in that one particular view....long story short, I discovered that it was a 3d tree that was causing the problem. How to find which is the corrupt element? I'm afraid there are no easy methods unless anybody else could recommend one?

I would also try deleting the view that is causing archicad to crash if it "is" the only view thats causing the problem.....and then recreating that view again. It's worth a shot.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Junior , thanks for the reply , i agree i have to expand memory soon , to can work comfortably , but i agree with you about that corrupt element on my 3d model, i have erased the latest objects and textures , and i have working normaly so far , do you think this could be cause , when we give erroneous parameters to some GDL objects ? i mean by example when we give 80 meters to a table , that usually sizes 80 cms ? , this could be doing those nonfunctional in 3d views and renderings ?
Dwight
Newcomer
Not at all. GDL objects given improbable dimensions will still work, but IMPOSSIBLE settings are usually rejected outright.

What we refer to as a corrupted element is an IRRATIONAL element, like a curved wall turned in on itself or a slab with a twisted hole. What happens is that all is fine until the 3D engine gets ahold of it and then the problem is discovered - the rendering engine can't solve the surfaces of the object. It is like a mobius strip.

Sometimes the generation of the model tolerates the problem and sometimes not. It might depend on the proximity of the element to the camera or other such suspicious mumbo-jumbo.
Dwight Atkinson