BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

problem with shadow casting on wall

cremsberg
Participant
Does anyone know why a wall would not display vectorial shadows? Attached elevation shows shadows casting on beam, column, door, eave profile, but not the wall that holds the door. Is there a setting for this particular wall hiding somewhere?

Picture 1.png
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
24 REPLIES 24
What happens if you delete all profiled walls?
cremsberg
Participant
I tried changing the wall that was missing the expected shadow from a composite wall into a plain wall. This did not fix the problem. Note: There are still composite walls remaining elsewhere in the project.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Hi Ignacio,

First, perhaps this thread should be moved to another forum.

Briefly on the two issues & after hours of testing; AFA exporting to ATL Studio, there is some issue & not clear if a GS or Abvent (probably Abvent), using the same file was able to export using XP fine, however on OS 10.5.6 encountered the Can't Write Output message. On the Mac, the method of selection affected this as follows: if either using the marquee or show all would get the message. If selecting using arrow, would export fine. Side notes: I renamed all layers and materials so that no asterisks or slashes appeared in the name (*, /, \), and found that deleting profiled elements made no difference. Also during testing, once the Mac returned the Output error message, it would need a New & Reset All to clear that message for subsequent tests.

AFA shadows in elevation: I used Stuart's Voodoo technique of jiggling the marker, which seemed to reset the shadows somewhat. I noted that performing a New & Reset All helps. One other issue that came up was that in some cases the source view would have a different set of shadows from the placed drawing (after update). That's all I know for now.

Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
cremsberg wrote:
I tried changing the wall that was missing the expected shadow from a composite wall into a plain wall. This did not fix the problem. Note: There are still composite walls remaining elsewhere in the project.
The point about trying deleting (all) composite walls and see what happens, or alternatively turning them all into simple non-profiled walls if deleting all profiled would delete your problem wall, was that in my case some composite walls were messing up other (profiled or non-profiled) walls they were joining to --overlapping planes messing up ArchiCAD shadows and Artlantis renders (export worked, render of overlapping planes looked horrible).

I worked around it changing the intersection priority for those walls.
Karl Ottenstein
Scott wrote:
First, perhaps this thread should be moved to another forum.

Briefly on the two issues & after hours of testing; AFA exporting to ATL Studio, there is some issue & not clear if a GS or Abvent (probably ...
Hi Scott,

This thread is in the right forum, and has discussed just shadow casting in elevations until you brought up the unrelated Artlantis question. It is impossible for us moderators to split a single post into a new topic - it is all or none. So, please, if you want to pursue this Artlantis export issue, copy your post and start a new thread in the Presentation or Data Exchange forums. (If I were to copy the post, it would get posted under my name, even as a moderator. )

Thanks!

Back on the topic - regardless of complex walls - I think the roof tiles show ample problems with shadows, and they are just objects. So, I think the file needs to go to GS. Probably Claire's needs to be sent in as well. (GS US tech support.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!