BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

problem with shadow casting on wall

cremsberg
Participant
Does anyone know why a wall would not display vectorial shadows? Attached elevation shows shadows casting on beam, column, door, eave profile, but not the wall that holds the door. Is there a setting for this particular wall hiding somewhere?

Picture 1.png
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
24 REPLIES 24
Karl Ottenstein
Any chance that two walls occupy the same space?

Inconsistent vectoral shadows used to be a bug in AC 9 and earlier, but has been fixed for some time now, so it is likely a problem in your model...unless it got broken again.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cremsberg
Participant
Hi Karl -

It sure seems like there is just one wall there, but thanks for the idea. By the way, this seems to be the only wall in this project where the shadow casting is not working. I tried rebuilding this wall from scratch and for a brief moment the shadow casting worked. When I adjust wall away from intersection at outside corner with another wall, shadows worked. This certainly seems buggy to me.
Claire Remsberg

Karl Ottenstein
Try just dragging a copy of that wall away from the model and view how it looks. Interference with other elements can come in various strange ways ... if the wall standing alone out in space still doesn't cast a proper shadow, then you're definitely looking at a bug.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cremsberg
Participant
Sure seems like a big, then. What is the best way to get Graphisoft's attention to this bug?
Claire Remsberg

Karl Ottenstein
cremsberg wrote:
Sure seems like a big, then. What is the best way to get Graphisoft's attention to this bug?
Hi Claire,

Can you post a zip of a module here for me or someone else to confirm your results?

Select just the problem wall, then File .... Save Selection as Module (but do not replace the selection with a hotlink). Zip and post.

If I can reproduce it quickly, I'll send it in. If not, you'll want to contact GS US tech support and send them your file.

Cheers,
Karl
Djordje
Ace
Hm ...

The shadow is ending before the bottom of the roof. There should be something of the roof shadow on the wall, I agree, but it looks as if your roof is not overhanging the wall enough.

Did you try a different sun angle?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
cremsberg
Participant
There should definitely be a shadow on that wall - no need to change sun angle. Note how shadow properly displays on the door that is in that wall. If I pull wall end away from intersecting outside corner with another side wall (behind the column), then the shadow behaves as desired. See attached. Very buggy!
Claire Remsberg

Djordje
Ace
cremsberg wrote:
There should definitely be a shadow on that wall - no need to change sun angle. Note how shadow properly displays on the door that is in that wall. If I pull wall end away from intersecting outside corner with another side wall (behind the column), then the shadow behaves as desired. See attached. Very buggy!
Claire,

HOW did you connect those two walls? I can bet that there is a tiny sliver of one of them somewhere near or in the connection, causing all this trouble.

Try to hide all the layers except the one with those walls, and do the Select only elements included on the corner. I bet that there is a piece of the wall there.

If not, join the walls using Fillet, and it should work OK.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
cremsberg
Participant
As a matter of fact, I DID have little hidden walls each side of the corner that I was using as a rim below the floor level, not in the same space as the floor plan wall. I removed them and I STILL HAVE SHADOW CASTING PROBLEM! Thanks for all your good ideas. I just wish they worked. I can 2D the shadow for this one elevation, but I wish it wasn't behaving this way. Still a bug?
Claire Remsberg

Learn and get certified!