Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

"QUICK" - scrolling layerlists?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

Scrolling through archicads layerlist (or any list in archicad for that matter) I have always been able to "quick"-search (instead of scrolling with mouse-wheel) by typing the first letter in a layer-name and the selection(highlight) automaticly jumps to layers beginning with that letter.

In my new office there are those who can do this and those who cant? (when it simply doesnt happen anything when they type a letter i layerlist)
What is the problem when u cant do this?? I have tried to find out but have failed.

When the layerlist builds on, the scrolling becomes really timeconsuming and irritating. Being able to "quick"-select layers are a really nice feature.

I'm VERY thankful for ANY insight in this matter.

Sincerely
/Rickard
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It could very well be more than this (and probably is), but the basics are:

1. You need to have something highlighted in the list to begin with, otherwise ArchiCAD won't register the letter as a shortcut in that list. For example, in the Layer Settings dialog if you deselect all, then type in a letter it won't work. You would need to select a layer first, then type a letter to jump to that section.

2. You need to type a letter that actually exists in the list. For example if you have no layer beginning with E, then hitting E won't do anything.

3. If you're quick you can type letters in succession to further pinpoint your item.

But it could be something more obscure or Mac specific.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I agree with Link.
You cursor cannot be clicked outside of the list. If it is in contact with the list, then it should work.

Just like you're web browser for example, if you try to type in a website without clicking the address bar, it will not work.

Try that and let us know how it goes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for reply!

Yes, the problem may be mac-specific. (we drive mac-intel comps.) I am aware of the issues u have pointed out but thats not the problem. It simply does not work for some people at the office (despite same hardware) so the problem seems to appear randomly? Hmmmm??? Thats why I think it has something to do with archicad preferences.

Any further suggestions?

Thanx!

/Rickard
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeff wrote:
Yes, I agree with Link.
You cursor cannot be clicked outside of the list. If it is in contact with the list, then it should work.

Just like you're web browser for example, if you try to type in a website without clicking the address bar, it will not work.

Try that and let us know how it goes.

Thank you for reply!

Yes, the problem may be mac-specific. (we drive mac-intel comps.) I am aware of the issues u have pointed out but thats not the problem. It simply does not work for some people at the office (despite same hardware) so the problem seems to appear randomly? Hmmmm??? Thats why I think it has something to do with archicad preferences.

Any further suggestions?

Thanx!

/Rickard
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just highlight the archicad layer and then type in the letter you want.
That how it works in windows at least...
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I just tried with my MAC. Not only did it always jump to the letter selected, but also jumped to the CLOSEST letter if that letter didn't exist.

Works in the LAYER COMBOS side also.

I snooped around for a preference or setting, but could find none.

I know this doesn't help...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop