BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"create openings from selection" not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried this on a couple of files - select a window or door and then try doing the "create openings from selection" but nothing happens.

I am selecting windows created in v. 22 and I'm now working in 24. They are Cadimage windows but I tried with a an AC window and that didn't work either.

Any ideas what I might be missing?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
'Create Openings From Selection' will create an opening with the new opening tool from one element that intersects another - i.e. a column through a slab or a beam in a wall.

Windows already cut an opening in the wall so there is nothing that is needed to be cut from the wall.

If you want to change an existing window into an empty opening, select the window and in the settings dialogue (bottom left) there is a button to change it to an empty opening.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry! Very helpful

I was trying to use the method illustrated by Jared Banks at Shoegnome with layers of walls to create in his case exterior clapboards. I didn't realize that the openings could not be created without the second layer already in place.

Here's a link to his site for reference - http://www.shoegnome.com/2019/11/14/openings-for-complex-profile-siding-archicad-23/
Barry Kelly
I stand corrected.
'Create opening from selection' will create an opening from a selected window.

I don't have the same USA library objects that Jared would have used.
When I try with the AUS library windows, I find that the reveal has to be set negative to the wall so that the window opening (Wallhole) extends into the extra wall skin.
Maybe it has something to do with the extra external trim that Jarred has on his windows (I see his reveal is set to 0 (zero)).
I tried adding an external casing but that did nothing for me.
I will have to try some further experiments.

There can be a gap between the walls, but I am finding that the window reveal depth has to be a negative value slightly larger than the gap (it can be set back after the opening is created).
I am not sure how Jared is doing it with a zero reveal depth - I am guessing it is something different in the USA library as I know the windows are scripted differently to INT/AUS windows.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
I just tested with an old USA library that I had.
As soon as I turn the outside casement on (as Jared seems to have on all his doors and windows) the create opening option works.
This doesn't seem to work with the AUS or INT windows (as I say they are scripted differently).

My suspicion is that turning the casement on in the USA window affects the WALLHOLE in the window - where as it doesn't in the AUS/INT windows.
As the wallhole now projects into the other wall, you can create an opening from it.

I don't know how the CADimage windows will work as I don't have those.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!