Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

seo operations in ac12 cause slabs disappearing

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,
i encounter strange seo behaviour in ac12:
while doing seo operations in model sections some walls cause the slabs to disappear. it happens when a particular wall subtracts a plaster layer on the upper slab side or the floor layers at the bottom.
the slab loses then its composite structure and its boundary gets thin. it remains the same for all sections facing the same direction. the funny thing is, any section in the opposite direction renders the same slab properly.

does anybody know what's going on? the trouble is i can't (and don't want) upgrade during the execution of the project.
thanks in advance.
rob
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you show this problem in an image?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlo,
here's the image file combined.
the slab disappeared after the subtraction by the wall at the lower story. the wall's lost seo on the slab below can be seen after retrieving with its seos cancelled for all base elements.
rob
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So it looks like the slab actually disappears after the SEO.
Does it also disappear in 3D?
What happens if you delete that slab and recreate it? Sometimes that work because that slab may have its data structure damaged somehow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the vanishing slab exists there, it can be edited, even the sections placed on the same location but facing the opposite direction can display it.
i think, too, that the poor guy gets overloaded with information, but it doesn't help me any further. i even supposed the computer ram could have impact on this behaviour (i've got 2gb on the windows machine).

and the last thing, which is additionally confusing: in 3d the slab is NOT here.
rob

edit:
there's no way to delete and recreate the slab. we don't have time for it, it's too complicated with many seos executed. we even refuse to cancel the seo operations on slabs, we retrieve them by the wall seos cancellation.
Erika Epstein
Booster
gester wrote:
there's no way to delete and recreate the slab. we don't have time for it, it's too complicated with many seos executed. we even refuse to cancel the seo operations on slabs, we retrieve them by the wall seos cancellation.
This sounds like the problem, too many SEO operations on the slab. This has improved in subsequent versions, but still something to watch for. I've tracked down similar problems to conflicting SEO instructions.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
How about creating a new Section that is in the exact place or a few centimeters offset from the problematic one? Does that display the Slab?
If yes, you could use this new Section and delete the old one. Make sure to copy-paste everything you have drawn in that Section before deleting it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks guys for your feedback

@erika
it's a 9 storey building with 2 parking decks below ground. we've got here 10 sections where all walls should cut out slab coatings either on the floor or the plaster above. sometimes when i do a seo i wind up wondering if the slab remains intact or not.
generally i don't think the slabs are too fragile to bear that amount of operations. we even let the walls not present in the sections to stay without seo. at the end of the day i'm a bit disappointed.

@laszlo
as far as i can remember (i am out of work now) only the sections in the opposite direction work well in this case. but i'll give a try what you've suggested.
btw, how can i transfer a detail from one section to a similar one?

thanks again,
rob
Anonymous
Not applicable
If the slab and SEOs are getting too complicated then perhaps the solution is to split up the slab (in architecturally appropriate places of course). You can even retain the SEOs by copying the operators and retaining the copies for each associated slab segment.

The simplest approach would be:

1. Turn off all other layers.

2. Select all the involved elements.

3. Drag a copy over round number distance (100m, 1000ft, etc.)

4. Split the copy and original along corresponding axes.

5. Drag the copy back to rejoin the original.