BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

showing roof eaves lines and the lower part of hip lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
I want to show the roof eave line and a bit of the lower part of the hip and valley lines as dashed lines on my floor and framing plans.
ArchiCAD can easily show a dashed line for all of the roof lines (eaves, hips, valleys and ridges) for roofs above (or below) a story.
I am wondering if there is a way to show just the lower portion of the roof eaves, hips and valleys (as dashed lines) lines on a plan.
Is there some way, such as the Floor Plan Cut Plane, to show just the lower part of a roof on a story above the Floor Plan.
If not, I think there should be a feature or setting to show this.
Thank you,
John

I had asked this in another thread but was encouraged to keep each question or request for a feature/improvement in individual threads.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
NCornia wrote:
I agree that this would be useful for a future enhancement and will forward it to our development team for consideration.
Thank you for passing this on to the developers. It would be a very, very important feature.
As Lec mentioned there are situations where the cover fill would be more time consuming and complex than just drawing the roof lines in. I'll keep it in mind for simple projects.
Thank you,
John
Erika Epstein
Booster
John,
Another solution which may or may not apply to every situation is to layer two views on the layout sheet. One is the floor plan view and the other one that shows just the roof. The view of the roof sets the cut plane to where the roof hits the outside of the exterior wall(s).
An advantage to this is both views are 'live'.

I once had a client who wanted an unusual cutout shape for their office standard, and this solution worked there as well. I edited the cutout hole per their request. That project was done in 11 or 12. You would be doing something similar stacking roof and floor plans on layout

HTH
Stacked roof and plan views on layout sheet.png
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
John,
Another solution which may or may not apply to every situation is to layer two views on the layout sheet. One is the floor plan view and the other one that shows just the roof. The view of the roof sets the cut plane to where the roof hits the outside of the exterior wall(s).
An advantage to this is both views are 'live'.
HTH
Thanks Erika,
I think that you or someone else must have suggested this before and it is a doable workaround until Graphisoft can embed this feature into the roof tool.
Your suggestion of layering views in a layout is also a workaround for when we want to show dashed lines for the wall below or above a framing or foundation plan.
Thank you,
John
Learn and get certified!