Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

solid element operation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am dealing with a complex roof, in fact consist of several roofs and I am trying to trim my walls by using the solid element operation with upwards extrusion. It works fine but when I close my file and open it again some of the walls get back to their original shape and I have to trim them again and again and again. I tried to save them as objects but the generated script is then always corrupted and I get back them with their original shape again...

Any idea ?

(Windows XP Home SP2)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jean-luc,

If you elevate part of the roof temporarily does the wall automatically respond as you expect, ie does it raise or lower with the roof.

I suppose the best way to work out if it is the roof or the wall that is causing the problem is to swap either part out with a new piece and see if the problem remains.

The work around, until you find out what the problem is, could be to use the good old fashioned trim to roof function.

I also assume you have the latest updates to ArchiCAD.

Maybe someone with greater experience than I have has come across this before and can help further if you still have problems?

Good luck!

Pete.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Pete,

thank for answering. I could not use the "old trim to roof".
It trims well but too much...(nothing to do with archicad but with
the design). No in fact I solved the problem using object
before subtraction. The other point concerns the walls. If one
of them has a different thickness the solid element operation
does not like it. So far now it's ok. Let's hope it will stay stable

Cheers

Jean-Luc
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have still the same problem with my trimed walls using the solid element operation tool. When I open my file some of the walls get back
to their original shape. Sounds that archicad refuse to recalculate the trimed shape. Is there something that I forgot to do ? something with maintaining operators for instance ?
regards
Jean-Luc
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have at times run into problems with solid element operations, but not to the extent that you apparently have and generally not with roofs and walls. With site meshes I have seen the most instances when the operation is forgotten. If the operator is ever deleted the operation is lost so a hidden layer is useful for these types of operations. I would surmise that there might be something in your procedures that could be causing the issue.

In addition, the trim to roof command has more control than most users are aware of. Although I never use this command anymore, if you select the roof element as well as the wall element before initiating the command you can restrict the trimming to only the selected roof. One advantage in certain situations of the trim to roof command is that the walls keep their trimmed state if the roof element is deleted. I however do not use this since having a operator on a hidden (most of the time) layer and using solid element operations allows increased edit-ability as the design changes.