BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

solid operations with composites

soldaotop
Booster

Is there any way to avoid this unwanted result in this solid operation?

Capture1.JPG

I'm trying to get a neat connection between a concrete core of a gable wall and a concrete roof slab. But since both elements have been done as composites, after subtracting a wall with a roof slab (using subtraction with upward extrusion command), i end up with having this tiny slot between roof slab and a wall. I understand that this is due to the roof render finish set up in the composite (which is hidden in this core only view). Does that mean that i have to make a composite without any layer below concrete slab? Is that the only way to do it?

in a section view

section.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
NandoMogollon
Advocate

Not really.

SEO are not your only option to connect 2 elements like the roof and wall.

SEO is a fairly simple Boolean operation: define element 1, element 2, then cut, intersect or join one to /from/with the other. This completely disregards your composites, profiles and shape. It considers only the boundaries of geometry.

Try instead another type of Connection: Trim to Roof (if your roof slab was modelled with the roof or Shell tool) or Merge (if no trimming is necessary). These other operations will consider the Material Priorities of the composite's building materials. Then you will likely get the intersection you're after.

Trial and error...

Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
NandoMogollon
Advocate

Not really.

SEO are not your only option to connect 2 elements like the roof and wall.

SEO is a fairly simple Boolean operation: define element 1, element 2, then cut, intersect or join one to /from/with the other. This completely disregards your composites, profiles and shape. It considers only the boundaries of geometry.

Try instead another type of Connection: Trim to Roof (if your roof slab was modelled with the roof or Shell tool) or Merge (if no trimming is necessary). These other operations will consider the Material Priorities of the composite's building materials. Then you will likely get the intersection you're after.

Trial and error...

Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab

Thanks, it worked with Connect / trim elements with roof option

Learn and get certified!