Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

trimming roofs in AC15

jbArch
Newcomer
Trying to get my head around the new methods for trimming roofs in AC15.

I like the idea of the new "trim to Roof/Shell" command, since it seems to be as easy as the old "trim to Roof" (now "Crop to Single Plane Roof") but acts more like an SEO.

But unsure when you would use the "pivot lines down" setting instead of the "contours down".... any suggestions? Default is for pivot lines, but usually I set my pivots at the wall, so that doesn't work.

Are others using this feature, or is it better to just use an SEO?
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Just a tip to turn on the on-screen option to see the trimming bodies. It is possible to extend a roof and yet not have the trimming body extend. The result in terms of wall trimming could be quite confusing if you don't see the body. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
jbArch
Newcomer
Yeah, exactly right Karl. I was ending up with walls where the outer face would disappear because it was beyond the pivot line boundary. Just trying to get an understanding of when you'd want to set your roofs to trim like that... guess it will become clearer as I use it more.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible in ArchiCAD 15 to delete roofs without losing trimming?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rammstein:

Only if you use the "Crop to Single-plane Roof" command. If using SEO / Connect commands, the roof cannot be deleted, but can be placed on a hidden layer.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14