Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall tool cadimage

Anonymous
Not applicable
are there any of you out there using cadimage wall framing tool
anyone in the northwest that would be willing to talk about it please
send a private message
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
No need to PM. I'd like to hear more about it too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have loaded the 30 day trial and now have some setup issues.
line thickness and scale etc. The two bigs are I get a pen number is less that 1 or greater than 255 on line 27, 46 and 59 when it generates elevations of EACH wall in the project. I tried opening the cadimage lib part framing .gsm and clicked on the display 3d and got the same results. The other problem is I cannot seem to get it to put cripples above door openings on tall walls. It does put all the cripples over windows, I went through the same process on setting up lintels (headers) on both doors and windows. Campbell from cadimage has been getting back with me but his tech guys are out until Monday the 7th so hope to have the answers then. I have a client that wants to prebuild walls for projects and the cut list function w/ a wall elevation for each wall, and the listing of walls in a placement sequence seem like they would be usefull
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got everything working. Campbell from cadimage was able to take care of all the problems I was having. You can setup all of your lintel(headers)with different size materials and number of trimmers under headers. Customize to any header materials. Change headers for different size openings and churn out cut lists that include studs count, cripples size and count(above and below openings), trimmers, and plates for each wall on a separate detail sheet with a elevation view and plan view of each wall with continuous dimesion strings stud to stud. I believe at the end of the month when my trial version runs out I will have to spring for this add on.
ok. your observations are well taken and I will retracts my exagerations.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dwight
Newcomer
With all due respect, while it can be said that the CADImage tool might not provide an overwhelming advantage to a skilled operator like yourself, it is outrageous to suggest that anyone who used a nail gun could EVER be as productive with a hammer.

We use nail guns and staple guns here in the studio for framing, finish work and crating - my favorite gun cost $20. - my expensive titanium hammer languishes.

It is true that having enough electricity is essential for air guns, but, on the job, hammer fights with the neighboring crew can slow things down until the police leave, just the same.
Dwight Atkinson
With equal respect Dwight, I can assure you that there are still framing crews out there that choose hammers over nails guns whenever possible.
Nail guns have advantages doing a few repetitive tasks like sheathing. There great, I have lots of nail guns, staplers, etc...Hammers have many advantages too.
At the end of the day, it is not the speed the nail enters a piece of wood that makes a significant difference in how much framing gets done. That is only one small part of it.
With my hammer only, I have personally embarrassed several whipper-snappers on my crew who thought they could get more done than me using their nail guns.
They don’t always get the depth set right and have to pull off the sheathing they ruined and replace it.
They blow out the end of lots of studs.
They commonly miss whole rows of joists, rafters, studs, because they don’t know if they hit anything or not.
I have been to houses framed with nail guns that I could have pushed over by hand. I have never been to a job using only hammers that was not good and tight.
By the time you compensate for all the studs you blew the end out of, the sheathing that had to be replaced because the nails were past flush (here the building department does not allowed us to use nail guns on brace panels for this very reason) and you have gone back over the work to tighten it up, compensated for the injuries, spent 30 min/day just bringing them out and putting them away, adjusting them, oiling them, there is not always any time savings at all.
If you could have only one or the other, you would have to choose the hammer.
I know several finish carpenters who would never use nail guns.
The same for several roofers I know.
Some Architects still specify that the shingles and other items be placed with hammers only. No nail guns. I don’t think that should surprise you.
It all depends on the job and the user.
It is not so different with Architects. There are still Architects using pencil and paper out there who at the end of the day can, and do, out produce CAD operators.
Automatic Dimensioning is a good example of how I am comparing the Cadimage wall framing tool to what can be done very easily with just ArchiCAD.
You can place automatic dimensions real, real fast, however, by the time you delete all the dimensions you did not want, move them around to better locations, change some of dimensions to be from a different starting point, clean it up to a reasonably good and useful chain of dimensions, you have probably found that it is rarely worth the effort.
It was probably not faster in the end than if you placed all of the dimensions individually as you go along.
Is the Cadimage wall framing tool faster and better than what we can already do with ArchiCAD?
As I said before, it depends on the user. I tried it and found that it was only marginally faster, if at all, and has a few downsides.
Everyone is welcome to try it out and see if it works for them or not.
I stand by my opinion about nail guns. My opinion is based on 28 years of building with hammers, and nail guns. I am the son of a carpenter, and both of my grandfathers were also carpenters. I know how to use a hammer, a nail gun, and ArchiCAD.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you remove a nail with a nail gun?
..not from your toe or from your eye, or up your nose in your brain.

From a piece of wood? I have actually seen a guy ruin the end of the gun trying to hook the nail and bend it out. Did I mention jambs? I never had a day using a nail gun where I did not have at least one jamb up to fix.

ouch