BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

weird,weird world of 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
After doing a “save as” new pln file as I do for periodic backup redundancy, in this particular instance, after working for a while in this new version, I went to look at something in 3d and got the attached error report.

In 3d, when it did open, after I think pressing ignore (or something like that) a few times was the doors and windows floating in air without any of the walls.

Simple fix for now was to kill that file and use my “archived” file I had just left behind an hour ago, so all is good.

But, found it somewhat unsettling to be able to be working away in 2d and not have AC let me know something is wrong in 3d.
Wondering if a warning could be built in to let you know if 3d has gone haywire, (kinda like when gdl script checks to see if your gdl is ok)?
Now being a bit “gun shy” I’m checking my 3d view way too often.

Has anyone seen this before (Or is it a known bug?) or know what may have caused this anomaly?

And a way to fix it, and a way to trust that file again, or even it's bpn?
lec
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
lec1212 wrote:
Has anyone seen this before (Or is it a known bug?) or know what may have caused this anomaly?

And a way to fix it, and a way to trust that file again, or even it's bpn?
lec
Check what are the elements whose ID is listed after the "wrong hole" information. Sometimes cutting and pasting them back solves the issue.

You never work only in 2D in ArchiCAD, if you work on the actual building elements. 2D action should and does affect the 3D display.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Djordje,
However at first it was all the walls in the project!
I did not explain fully at first, the fact that what I posted as wl-x's errors was after I had gone back three saves. The first error message was all the walls!
The situation had gotten progressively worse with each save-as, I just was not aware of it.

To have to copy paste all back in and reset windows/doors etc. would have been painful to say the least. Or maybe you did not mean that?
Might just be I don't understand what process you were implying.
Once again my multiple back ups saved the day, but would like to know what specifically you meant.
And is this a known bug?
And of course I understand I'm working in 3d at same time as 2d.
But do you really have to methodically be checking constantly to make sure AC hasn't screwed up 3d?
Is this more common now than in the past?
lec
Erika Epstein
Booster
In your work environment, is the error message set to full? This might give you some more information about the problem.

It could be something is corrupt if it is ALL the walls. If so you should contact graphisoft tech support.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Djordje
Ace
... and send the file to the tech support. Go back to your backup and work from there. Something is corrupt.

Yes, it can happen. Rarely, but it can.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
"Something is corrupt."
To say the least.
And just for your viewing pleasure,
see below, 3d view of now abandoned .pln
Erika Epstein
Booster
Lec,
When you select a wall, what is its height?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!