Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

why are there two options in level height ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i dont really understand why there are two number fields for the level heights in archicad.

i thought levels would normally be just.
0. 000
1. 3000
2. 6000
3. 9000
and so on

or is one level height (slab height) and then the second is floor height ?

Ian

levels.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
The first figure is the height of your storey.
The second figure is the height between that storey and the one above.

The second figure will be the same as the first figure of the storey above - change one and the other will alter.

ie change the overall height of the ground floor (second figure) and the level of the floor above will change to suit.
All floors levels above will change by the same amount but the spacing between those floors will stay as they were.

Or change the level of the second floor and the overall height of the ground floor will adjust and all the floors above will adjust level by the same amount.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
would it not be better if each level just had one imput number, seems to be double up for no reason, having both number columns ?

Ian
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's so if you change the height of one floor you don't have to change the height of other floors because that is set by the second number.
Barry Kelly
pixpast wrote:
would it not be better if each level just had one imput number, seems to be double up for no reason, having both number columns ?

Ian
The first column shows you the height of the storey above/below project zero.
The second column gives you the actual height between each floor.

So you can easily set the heights based on the actual height above/below project zero if that is critical or simply adjust the height between floors if you are not so concerned with their height above/below project zero.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
why have the graphisoft people made this level system with real reason behind it.
But on the other hand, the elements like columns and walls, not attachable to levels.
ie. the real idea of BIM, change my slab level and all my columns and walls will follow.

Ian
Erika Epstein
Booster
Ian,
You should get in the habit of inserting elements relative to the story you are on rather than to project zero. Then if story heights move, or you add relative information such as site elevation, the elements will remain on the correct story.

There are far fewer occasions when to input elements relative to project zero is correct.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
pixpast wrote:
...But on the other hand, the elements like columns and walls, not attachable to levels.
ie. the real idea of BIM, change my slab level and all my columns and walls will follow.
Just to correct you - All elements are placed relative to a storey level. If you change the level of the storey in that dialog box, everything relating to that storey will move with it - slabs, walls and columns.

The problem we have at the moment is that we can't link the top level of a wall or column to the storey above, so we have to manually re-adjust the height of such elements if the distance between storeys change.