Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

why shells do not appear in archicad 14 even as a roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i wonder why shells only shows in archicad 15 when saving to archicad 14 you will not able why not even mahe it showed as a roof or object at least without have ability to make modification but shown in archicad14
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
ArchiCAD has never converted any elements created by new tools in one version to objects when back-saving to the prior version, as far as I know. (?) Seems like a reasonable request.

I'm not sure that a user 'save-as' object will work if saved as editable GDL text either since the GDL may very well contain commands that are not recognized in the earlier version either.

I imagine (but have not tried) that user-saving your 15 Shells as one or more binary GDL objects would save just primitives and might display properly in 14?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
I'm not sure that a user 'save-as' object will work if saved as editable GDL text either since the GDL may very well contain commands that are not recognized in the earlier version either.
I gave this a quick test with a Shell and got the error message "Can't find macro EXTRUDEDSHELL..." in 14, so Karl is correct.
Karl wrote:
I imagine (but have not tried) that user-saving your 15 Shells as one or more binary GDL objects would save just primitives and might display properly in 14?
I don't think 14 recognizes any binary code from 15, based on a quick test.

I think the best approach for teams using various versions of ArchiCAD is for all to use the earliest version for feature compatibility. I don't see the rational for Graphisoft to spend resources on backwards compatibility, I'd rather they use the programmers' time to move the software forward.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Fra
Booster
Save as "IFC" and open in ArchiCAD 14?
Can be a solution?

Francesco
AC25 AC26 (Ita)

Mac Studio M1 Max 64 GB - OSX 12.4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Probably not going to be happy with the results.

David
Shell_ifc.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14