Graphisoft Story on me - BLOCK a,b,zzyzx -

toh
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

※日本語は後半にあります。

Time flies, 20 years since I joined Graphisoft.

I am telling you about my first time of Archicad, and the bitter memories when I joined Graphisoft Japan.

1996 Summer

Done!

I was the first person who creates a GDL object in Japan... I guess.

At the time, I was working for a construction software developer.

My boss told me,” We are going to partner with a Hungarian software house, so do you want to take charge of it?”.

Hungary?

International!

Sounded so cool to me because I had never had a chance to work with international things.

I made up my mind quickly.

Few days later, I visited the Graphisoft Japan.

It was small one-room office in a prime location in Tokyo, there were four start- up members, other than President Imre Pakozdi.

Bence Kovacs one of the start-up members at that time, showed me a demonstration of Archicad on his Mac. Bence was the president of Graphisoft Japan later, from 2009 – 2021.

I got an installation "floppy disk" of the Japanese version of Archicad for Windows on this day.

The next day, I finally installed Archicad on my NEC PC with Windows 95.

Installation of Archicad 4.55 was with 5+ floppy disks in and out.

The Japanese version of Archicad had a lot of weird localizations, making me so "Kawaii!" because the software was made in Hungary.

Bence taught me how to operate Archicad.

Controlling Archicad was so intuitive that I could work with tools I didn't know, but the roof tool was totally unexpected. This mysterious "3D CAD" works well for me, and it works well as I expected.

My boss said, "From now on, let's make a lot of object libraries to sell Archicad in Japan. First, learn GDL, and then try making a Tatami object."

*Tatami is Japanese style flooring mat.

toh_0-1662612519402.jpeg

I learned GDL from Mr. Bence.

Bence said, "Type BLOCK a,b,zzyzx."

A cube was formed on the screen.

toh_1-1662612622432.png

The first programming language for me was the GDL script.

I was fascinated by the wonder of being able to create shapes by entering letters.

2002 March

Joined Graphisoft Japan.

Graphisoft JAPAN had 12 members, including the president, Mr. Hara, 5 sales, 4 technical members, 1 accounting staff, and 1 part-timer.

My first task at Graphisoft was the localization of ArchiFM.

FM = Facility management, I started the job with no knowledge about the FM.

First of all, I could not localize without knowledge, so I started studying FM at the same time.

Since it was a so small company, I oversaw everything from localization, verification, demonstration, and support. I was good at Archicad, so I joined the company in high spirits, but I have no knowledge about facility management at all, and I didn't know what to do with everything from localization management to building a demonstration.

Then, one year later, I had a 1 on 1 interview with the president Mr. Hara, he said, "I'm really disappointed with your results of this past year. you are fired 3 months later if you don't have any achievement."

I hated ArchiFM, but I liked Graphisoft, so I didn't want to leave the company. However, I also disliked Mr. Hara for saying such harsh things.

"kopasz!" I screamed in my mind.

But I could not find any other company that I wanted to work for.

After all, I didn't want to quit Graphisoft, so I practiced the demonstration 100 times, just like baseball 100 knocks.

I worked desperately, then half a year passed. I had completely forgotten about getting fired, but I was certain that I wouldn't get fired.

At the time, I didn't realize how painful to fire a subordinate. The turning point in my work was when Mr. Hara scolded me.

2004 January

After two years, ArchiFM withdrew from Japan, so ArchiFM which made me unhappy left me.

I am grateful to Mr. Hara and ArchiFM for eventually making me grow.

2022 September

I have been in charge of technical support since 2004, after the product I was in charge of disappeared.

At the time, I imagined that I might soon be working for another company.

I want to tell my old self I will still be working at Graphisoft for over 20 years.

It's harder to imagine a different life now.

I hope Graphisoft is a company loved by the customer forever.

- BLOCK a,b,zzyzx -

私は2022年でグラフィソフトに入社して20年になります。私が初めてArchicadと出会った頃のことと、その後グラフィソフトジャパンに入社した時の苦い思い出をお話します。

1996年 夏。

できた!

畳のオブジェクト。

私は(たぶん)日本で初めてGDLオブジェクトを作った人間だ。

当時、あるソフトウェアメーカーに勤務していた私は上司に、「今度ハンガリーのソフトウェアメーカーと提携するから担当して」と言われた。

ハンガリー?

外国のソフトウェア?

なんかかっこいいなと思い、二つ返事で担当を引き受けた。

数日後、グラフィソフトジャパンのオフィスへ訪問。東京の南青山という一等地だけどひと部屋だけの小さいオフィスでは社長のイムレさん以外の創業メンバーの4人がいた。

創業メンバーの一人Bence KovacさんがMacArchicadのデモを見せてくれた。

その日、Windows用 日本語版Archicadのインストール“フロッピーディスク”を入手した。

※Benceさんは2009年 - 2021年グラフィソフト ジャパンの代表取締役 社長

翌日、いよいよ自分のPCArchicadNEC製のPCWindows95をインストールした。

5枚以上のフロッピーディスクを入れては出してArchicad 4.55をインストールした。

日本語版になったばかりのArchicadはローカライズがおかしなところがたくさんあったけど、ハンガリーから来たソフトだと思うと、変な日本語もかわいいと感じた。

そしてBenceさんが私にArchicadの操作を教えてくれた。

Archicadの操作は直感的だったので、知らないツールも操作できたが、屋根ツールは全く予想しない操作だった。この不思議な「3D CAD」と私は相性が良く、私の思う通りに動いてくれた。

私の上司は「これからArchicadを日本で売るために日本用のオブジェクトをたくさん作ってライブラリにしよう。まずはGDLを覚えて、そして試しに畳のオブジェクトを作ってみて。」と言った。

BenceさんにGDLを教わった。

Benceさんが「BLOCK a,b,zzyzxと入力します」と言った。

画面には立方体ができていた。

toh_2-1662612715978.png

生まれて初めてさわったプログラム言語がGDLスクリプト。

文字を入力すると形状ができるという不思議さに夢中になっていた。

2002 3

グラフィソフトジャパンに入社。

グラフィソフトジャパンのメンバーは社長の原さん以下、セールス5名、技術部門4名、経理1名、バイト1名の12名になっていた。

グラフィソフトで担当した初めての仕事は、ArchiFMのローカライズであった。

FM=ファシリティ マネジメントという言葉も初めて聞くような状態でのスタート。

まずは知識がないとローカライズもできないためFMについての勉強も平行して始めた。

小さい会社だったため、ローカライズ、ソフトウェアの動作検証、デモ対応まで全部一人で担当した。Archicadは得意だったので意気揚々と入社したが、ファシリティマネジメントは全くわからず、そしてローカライズ管理や、デモを組み立てるという作業までも初めての事ばかりでどうしていいかわからず、失敗と苦悩ばかりであった。

そして1年たったとき当時の社長の原さんと年度の面談のとき「この1年間の結果は本当に残念です。今日から3ヶ月間時間をあげますので、3ヶ月後に結果が出ない場合は会社を辞めてもらいます!」と言われしまった。

ArchiFMは嫌だけど、グラフィソフトは好きだったので会社は辞めたくなかった。しかし、あんなに厳しいことを言い渡す原さんも嫌いであった。ハ○オヤジのくせに!と心の中で悪態をついたが、他に行きたいと思う会社がなかった。

そして結局グラフィソフトを辞めたくなかったので、デモも野球の100本ノックのごとく100回練習したりして説明もまあまあ上手にできるようになり、気づいたら半年経っていた。必死のパッチで仕事をしていたらクビになる話のことをすっかり忘れていたのだけども、その時はもう、クビにはならないなと確信できるくらいになっていた。

部下に最後通牒を言い渡すということがどんなに辛いことかは、当時理解できなかった。原さんが私を叱りとばしたことが私の仕事のターニングポイントだったのだ。

2004年 お正月明け

そしてArchiFMの担当をして2年が経ったところで、結局、日本からArchiFMの撤退が決まった。私を苦しめたArchiFMが去って行った。

私を苦しめたけど、結果的に成長させてくれた原さんとArchiFMには感謝ばかりである。

担当していた製品がなくなった私は2004年からテクニカルサポートを担当している。

当時の自分は間もなく違う会社で働くのかもしれないと想像していた。

20年後もグラフィソフトで働いているよと当時の自分に教えてあげたい。

あの時あっさりと挫けたらと想うと、今の違う人生を想像することのほうが難しい。

いつまでもグラフィソフトはハンガリー気質のまじめだけど少し不器用なところのある、お客様から愛される会社であってほしい。(ここは日本語だけで)

Hara san

toh_3-1662612792347.png

Bence san

toh_4-1662612882365.png

2015 GS Japan team's Budapest trip

toh_5-1662613016975.png

Shinako Toh
陶 志奈子