BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Creation of custom GDLobjects directly in GS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, i know we can access and manipulate the parameters of an existing object from within Grasshopper.
I was thinking that it would be amazing if full GDL 3D Objects could be created directly in GS together with their parameters and then sent to Archicad just like other BIM elements. That would be a type of visual GDL connection and would be a huge feature. There is the Rhino to GDL convertor already but can we add more intelligence to the 3D objects like dimension parameters and more?
Will this be possible to add this feature in a future release of Rhino-GS connection or is it in your wishlist? Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28
leceta
Expert
I have no idea about the technical/effort implications of such a feature, but this would signify a rebirth for GDL.

My most passionate 1+ to this wish.

Now, coming back to the earth, I suspect that Graphisoft has already considered this, and:

a.-for some reason is not viable : (
b.-they are already working on this, or has plans to do so.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is exactly what i was thinking of but to be applied to every other type of gdl objects like windows, curtain wall elements, doors, etc.
Grasshopper parameters that stay dynamic in smart objects.

https://youtu.be/-w04bGUOV8c
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if is technically and legally possible for a 3rd party developer to create a kind of Grasshopper- GDL translator/convertor?
jorgebeneitez
Booster
My +1 as well!
Jorge Benéitez

M.arch | Registered Architect | ARB
BIM Implementation | Graphisoft Registered Consultant.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is something I have been discussing here in the office. The creation of custom GDL objects, where the grasshopper parameters (sliders for example) translate directly into GDL parameters (inside the object selection settings).

Have my +1
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1 super nice idea. However, creating GDLs and modifying is also a big step.

Anyway, there is an interesting solution from BIMObject. They call it LENA and its framework for making objects that can be imported to different platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw89UZQSZTc

As far as remember it's targeted more to producers and library developers since it's billed by published library element.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@kzaremba

Lena is not designed to take advantage of the GDL code optimisation.

ie: Quite verbose, very bulky, and consumes a lot of computer resources which is actually the opposite of the aim that GDL have been created.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi everyone,

@Constantin Cozma, well in the new ArchiCAD-Grasshopper connection you can create your own GDL object from with in Grasshopper, of course it isn't as you may like, and preferable it must be reserved for modeling complicated models, and nurbs surface.

About Lena,
From what I have seen by different vendors, their services/products interpret GDL objects as Breps, which in some cases could be just fine, but for the majority of the cases it doesn't take into account to main aspect in GDL:
01. Lena's design philosophy revolves around vendors can create and control their object's in house, without the need to learn each platform specifics, that tends to result in models that overlooks models' optimisation (quiet common for GDL objects), which defeats the purpose of creating GDL in the first place.
02. GDL is slim and terse in comparison to Brep definitions, so it's easier to maintain and modify (for those who know GDL).
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Joe Putnam
Booster
A GDL editor in grasshopper & directly in rhino without grasshopper, similar to the C#, VB, and python editors would be very useful and given there are variants of GDL in other Nemetschek software I am certain the GDL parser is self contained, yes I understand wrapping the calls to rhino common would be work. GDL development live in Rhino would be really handy, and while they are at it fix the ArchiCAD built in IDE. I really believe that this being such a horrible tool is keeping the current generation of architects away from using it. Look at the explosion of Rhino user created tools and,even Revit's Dynamo, a user created open source tool that Autodesk basically got for free. The addition of the python API is a huge step in the right direction but GDL is extremely powerful and why I dont use Revit anymore but the tools are extremely cumbersome or esoteric at best.

I also think further development on the .3dm to gld tool-chain would be valuable. Wrapping in something like the library part maker that uses layers etc. but doing this from Rhino directly.

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/en/library-part-maker/

Currently I am producing rather complex objects (building facade screens and custom panels) that I bring in as a single gld object by placing the baked grasshopper geometry. I do not have the ability to control the data on each individual component something that is needed when documenting facade panels. I did tests sending this through with a basic custom gld script controlling parameters from grasshopper but I end up with thousands of individual objects and what I would rather have is the creation of a library with these parts within. Rhino 5 does has the option to save out library part and this is useful in this case but you have to then place each object manually......
Learn and get certified!