Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Is grasshopper live connection dead?

Pato99
Enthusiast
Hi folks. This is a direct copy from my post in the Beta forums. It's just infuriating how slow development is in all aspects of ArchiCAD, they hype everything and drop support to work on something new for their next promo video. Remember the window and door tool... Next year you'll be asking for stair and railing support.

---------

When the live connection was announced, it was such a big deal. I was pretty excited to combine the two platforms and went to A/C training where they did an introduction to the connection and showed a video with cupcakes.

Now it seems dead in the ass. There are still major problems, I can't do basic functions like rotate a column and support for AC20 has stopped completely. There is only 1 active Mod since September and the other two leading mods have no active posts since January.

The last developer topics were this time last year, so what's going on with the plugin? Has it been ditched for something CI can make money on instead? How many developers are actually currently working on this? Is this why there is no mention of it on the AC21 website?

The current state of this plugin is more like Alpha with community support.

--------

I'm making a stand. No more upgrades till my requests from 10 years ago are filled.
Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
14 REPLIES 14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Pat,

Maybe I am wrong but AFAIK the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection is a released product, and it is not in beta anymore.

That beta site was important during the beta phase of the connection.
Now ARCHICAD-Talk has this separate forum dedicated to GH-AC Connection.

As far as I see the Connection is updated for both AC20 and AC21 as can be seen on its download page:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/interoperability/rhino.html#live-connection-plugin

If you have any wishes or suggestions for future functionality post it in this forum and it will get to GRAPHISOFT.
I am sure GRAPHISOFT continues to develop the GH-AC Connection.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Pato99
Enthusiast
laszlonagy wrote:
Pat,

Maybe I am wrong but AFAIK the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection is a released product, and it is not in beta anymore.

That beta site was important during the beta phase of the connection.
Now ARCHICAD-Talk has this separate forum dedicated to GH-AC Connection.

As far as I see the Connection is updated for both AC20 and AC21 as can be seen on its download page:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/interoperability/rhino.html#live-connection-plugin

If you have any wishes or suggestions for future functionality post it in this forum and it will get to GRAPHISOFT.
I am sure GRAPHISOFT continues to develop the GH-AC Connection.
The release is still listed as Beta, but I see what you're getting at.

A little confirmation or notice on the forum to say they have moved, even locking new threads would be helpful. My post there still stands unanswered and is the latest topic in the main section, so they definitely aren't monitoring the site anymore.
Versions 10 to 27
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I suspect that the Mac version of the GH-AC Connection is listed as beta since Grasshopper for Mac is in beta, it is still very much a work-in-progress:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/page/grasshopper-for-mac

But the Windows version is not in beta, it is released product for a while now.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
leceta
Expert
Pat, I guess we are the last survivors... by the way, I sent you a solution (hopefully) for your problem with column rotation...

In case that the old forum is no more officially active, it would be a detail to give us a notification. We don't deserve this treatment...
runxel wrote:
leceta wrote:
not worries Runxel, just wondering what was your point of view about that particular asseveration.

by the way, thank you very much for your development of GDL plugin for sublime!
Got carried a little bit away in my first post maybe
Funnily enough: yesterday evening I got an invitation for testing a pre-release version of Rhino – seems like they ship Rhino 6 this year for real!
And with it comes: Grasshopper 1 with a lot of new features, bugfixes and great speed improvements...
My hopes at the moment are Graphisoft waited indeed for this.

Thanks alot Leceta, music to my ears! ; )
Stay tuned! I will release a new version in a few days with many improvements.
That is great news. I still have more than 80 Days left on Rhino 5 demo. When it expires I can get another 90 days for Rhino 6

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25