Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Randomize Materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am just starting to play with the connection plugin and see that V20 has many more parameters to play with. I am currently doing a randomized facade that is working well. However I am wanting to randomize the colour of some fins between two different surface materials. Any thoughts as to which grasshopper component will allow me to plug different surface or composite inputs into?

As an aside the my Archicad points dont seem to be translating into grasshopper points like they should. They seem to shift in strange directions. What could be affecting this?

Thanks

Derek
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
leceta
Expert
"pick´n´choose" component serves for this purpose (in conjuction of other compontents, as shown in the image)
Captura_00002.JPG

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Solution
leceta
Expert
"pick´n´choose" component serves for this purpose (in conjuction of other compontents, as shown in the image)
Captura_00002.JPG
leceta
Expert
leceta
Expert
this definition has better randomness (random seeds)
Captura_0002.JPG
leceta
Expert
in archicad...
Captura0004.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you! Some great ideas in there. I ended up using Random Split List from Lunchbox which also has a seed value so I could change my 'randomness' easily.

I am still having problems with converting an archiCad point into a grasshopper point. Archicad is in mm and Rhino is in mm but the data is coming in as metres. Any thoughts as to how to get the point data in mm without deconstructing the points multipling by 1000 and constructing the point?
Anonymous
Not applicable
@leceta

Thank you for posting those screenshots.

Can you explain how you added the x0 x1 x2 nodes to the object settings component? If I zoom into it there aren't any options to add those.

Perhaps it was available in a previous version and now it isn't...?
It would be great to know how to achieve this.

Thanks.
leceta
Expert
Hi yafimski, this is possible also in the current version.

I wrote a custom gdl object for the grid shell beams, and then exposed those parameters (x0,y0,z0,...) to grasshopper. You can expose those, right clicking over the component and checking the object's parameters you want to feed from grasshopper.

I hope I answered your question, you can find more info about the usage of custom GDL objects plugin manual. It works the same way with any object you have on your Archicad library.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ieceta,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think it will also be feasible to perform this kind of color randomization on walls and slabs etc. and not only on objects?
leceta
Expert
sure. you just need to apply a random building material assignation logic to the elements (wall, slabs, whatever...)
I will try to take time this weekend to illustrate the process.