Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Create expression from sum of morph´s area (by story) in property manager.

Albin Grind
Contributor

Hi, 

I am trying to setup predefined schedules in our company template file that calculates the form factor of a morph as defined by the sum of the morph´s "area (by story)" divided by the volume´s surface area.

The idea is to be able to quickly use a morph object from favorites to create a mass that then can be used to extract key data like total usable area from stories, volume and to define the form factor as an indicator.

I am trying to create an expression in property manager that adds up the total of all area (by story), but I don't know how to form the syntax. Does anyone know how to formulate it? 

/Albin

iMac Retina 5k 27" 2020, macOS 2.3.1
Archicad 25 & 26
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

Expressions belong to properties and properties can belong to only one element.

Elements can not interrogate the same property from other elements, so you can never get a total.

You have to create a 'Total' property that you manually type in the total area, then you can associate this total property to all your morph elements and can then use it in an expression to calculate percentages or other relations.

Or you need to delve into Python or C++ addon creation to gather information from many elements.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry. 
I realise I might have been a bit unclear. It would be the sum total of area (by story) per morph volume to be able to schedule total floor area of a mass. 

It might run into the same problem though. I can’t figure out a way to query the property per story in an expression to then sum them. 

Is it possible to use grand totals or totals from schedules in calculations to achieve the same thing?

iMac Retina 5k 27" 2020, macOS 2.3.1
Archicad 25 & 26

You will have the same problem.

You can get the area per storey for a morph in an expression, but morphs will not talk to each other so there is no way to get a total in properties.

You can only get totals in schedules, and those totals can not be used in properties (as they do not belong to an element) unless you create a 'total' property and manually input the value.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11