Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Editing identical floors and Displaying large 2D files

PhanVanHau
Booster

Hello, I am currently building a building with multiple identical floors. How can I edit one representative floor and have the other identical floors automatically update as well? (copy instance?) 

Right now, I am doing something quite foolish by duplicating the representative floor. If any changes need to be made, I delete the other floors, make the changes, and then duplicate them again.

Additionally, displaying in 2D drawing format also takes a lot of time (30 to 40 minutes waiting). My file is about 300MB and I cannot view it in 2D format without closing and reopening the file.

I had to split it into multiple different files. One file for each 10 floors.

My computer configuration is Xeon 2223 chip, 32GB RAM, and A2000 12GB graphics card.

Phan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

In the multi-storey file, use the Hotlink Manager to place the single (13th) floor file.

This file does not need to have the floor plan on the 13th floor, it can be on the ground floor (or any storey).

You choose which single storey you want to use as you select the hotlink file.

You place the hotlink on each floor, 13 - 19, that you want it.

You can't edit those floor plans as they are now a hotlink.

If you need to make a change, you edit the single floor plan and save it.

Then in the multi-storey plan, you just update the hotlinks.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

You want to look into using hotlink modules.

They can be a separate plan that you link into a master file multiple times for each storey, or it can be the one storey that you have modelled already in your main file that you save as a hotlink and then place on the other storey.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you for your comment.
I have used HOTLINK to divide the project into 6 different parts. However, in HOTLINK, I have 10 identical layers. When there is a repair, I will delete 9 layers and edit 1 typical layer, then copy it again. This takes a lot of time. Is there a smarter way?

• Currently, my 6 HOTLINK files' compilation file is 400MB. All operations are very slow. I can hardly open the floor plan or elevation display mode. Is there a way to solve this?

There should be no deleting of layers necessary.

Create the hotlink for the floor plan.

Let's assume you do the single floor in a separate file and simply save it (as a standard PLN file - you don't have to save it as a MOD file).

Now in your master file (the 10 storey building), you insert the hotlink on each of the 10 storeys.

If you want to make a change, you go to the original PLN file (the single storey file) and make your changes and save it.

Go back to your multi-storey file and in the Hotlink Manager you will see the hotlinks need updating.

Update them - job done.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
PhanVanHau
Booster

Thanks for answering,
Can you explain a little more specifically.
From the 13th to the 19th floor are identical. I have split the 13th floor into a separate PLN file (subfile), now how can I hotlink the 13th floor to 14,15,..to 19th above the composite file (parent file).

Solution

In the multi-storey file, use the Hotlink Manager to place the single (13th) floor file.

This file does not need to have the floor plan on the 13th floor, it can be on the ground floor (or any storey).

You choose which single storey you want to use as you select the hotlink file.

You place the hotlink on each floor, 13 - 19, that you want it.

You can't edit those floor plans as they are now a hotlink.

If you need to make a change, you edit the single floor plan and save it.

Then in the multi-storey plan, you just update the hotlinks.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27