Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Favorites not importing/exporting correctly nor "sticki

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
We've had this problem since migrating to AC10 (a couple of months now), but I haven't read of any similar issues on this forum, so I'm posting to see if anyone has experienced the same:

I initially set up the Favorites within the template and export to a PRF file -- whenever I update any of the Favorites, I do the same. Certain Favorite settings do not transfer/stick: neither in files created from the template nor files into which the PRF is imported. Specifically, the Story Levels in Section settings within the S/E Markers, and the Title settings within the Drawing Tool. In both cases, the marker/title type is shown "MISSING", although in both cases the specified marker/title type is available from the menu. The only solution seems to be re-setting and re-saving the Favorites within each file, which is incredibly inconvenient.

Oh -- also -- a random Object is always substituted for the "MISSING" object, so sometimes we get a door for a Story Marker, sometimes a brick...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

Did you find where the problem was, and how to solve it (if you still remember, that is).

I am having the same problem.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The Favorites that don't "stick" seems to vary with each release of AC, but yes we have experienced this in AC11 and AC12. What I ended up doing is creating a "visual favorites file" with each Favorite placed with the correct settings that can be referenced if the Favorites via the palette are not behaving.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, thanks.

Do you copy/paste them from the reference file, or do you link that file as an associate module?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Krippahl wrote:
Ok, thanks.

Do you copy/paste them from the reference file, or do you link that file as an associate module?
Either way -- user's choice
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still, this is a bummer.
Do you know if GS acknowledges this problem and plans to address it?

From where I am standing, it seems to me erratic behavior of Favorites defeats their purposes, namely in big offices environment, where you want to make sure that every Tom, Dick or Harry doesn't mess up with the model.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Krippahl wrote:
From where I am standing, it seems to me erratic behavior of Favorites defeats their purposes, namely in big offices environment, where you want to make sure that every Tom, <b>[censored]</b> or Harry doesn't mess up with the model.
And there's the irony: the very definition of a Favorite means fixed standard settings. It's really difficult to enforce standards by insisting that everyone start with a Favorite when you come to find out the Favorite settings themselves are wrong.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Laura.
I couldn't agree more, Have you started a wish to get this fixed?

I was distracted laughing at what got censored in Miguel's post
"every Tom, <b>[censored]</b> or Harry "
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Erika wrote:
I couldn't agree more, Have you started a wish to get this fixed?
Should I really have to? "I wish that Favorites worked."
Erika Epstein
Booster
No, but do it anyway.

I'm thinking about starting a new wish for them to fix all the bugs in the library.

Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"