Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

High CPU load when idle?

heathldesign
Expert

good day everyone, Barry 🙂

I have not been impressed with the performance of my Mac studio with AC26-27, i get a spinning beach ball for about 1-2 sec when saving. doesn't matter if i make only a few changes or save after several minutes of work. i only do single family residential and don't get into rendering. not big models by any stretch, so the beach ball is odd to me. but i had the activity monitor open and noticed that AC is using more CPU than anything else, 25% when completely idle. i just have a model open, haven't made any changes to it, just sitting there. it's been running for 4 minutes, so i don't think it's looking for updates, what gives? is this normal? windowserver is also in the same range, the next highest is 5%

MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
9 REPLIES 9
rm
Advisor

I wonder if you might benefit from an OS reinstall. I use a Mac Studio M1 Max and I have no speed issues with AC 26/AC 27.  I even installed Parallels / Windows 11 Pro, ran AC 27 on that and was blown away that there was almost no speed difference on it vs. native on the macOS.

I have found many glitchy things on all my Macs lately, including the Magic Mouse left click, just randomly stops working. I have been with Apple since 1985, last few years just never seem to run 100% smoothly.  They just keep updating it constantly, almost IOS like, instead of the old days making it stable with major updates every 3 years. Those days are gone, and it forces all software developers including GS to play catch up.  

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

Well maybe that’s the issue with the COU use, that may or may not be new since upgrading to Sonoma, but the overall speed issue has been since buying the machine. Two versions of AC and at two OS. A friend of mine has the exact same machine and build, so installed AC on a new user and ran one of my models. There was a difference, didn’t get the beach ball, that was pre Sonoma. So I’m getting myself all couraged up to do a clean install of the OS and manually migrate and see if that solves it. My last machine was a 2015 iMac with all the bells and whistles and not only was I not impressed with that machine, I was expecting much better performance from the studio. Not seeing it. It’s definitely better, but I sure can’t say I’m blown away by any stretch.

I'm really sorry you are experiencing a speed issue. I know how frustrating that is. I just grabbed a screen shot with a building I am designing that has a ton of modeled trusses in it and a fair bit of curtain wall. I can rotate it in real time in AC 27 on my M1 Max Studio.  How much RAM does your machines have? 

AC 27AC 27

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

nice. 32GB. what 3D view style are you using, i'm going to give mine a go with the same.

With the exception of Hidden Line Vectorial Hatching turned on, I can get real time rotation.

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

same here, i wonder though if i had that many objects in my model. that vectoral engine isn't very efficient is it. do you have issues with the inertia when panning? if i swipe on my magic mouse or track pad, it pans basically as far as i move my finger, and only after about 3-4 times will it actually keep going with inertia. that is veeeeeery frustrating and slow. such a pain to zoom out , pan and zoom back in. it's been doing this for years.

I just avoid vectorial hatching. Its just too slow even on simple models.

Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

has anyone else seen this kind of CPU load when idle?

What sort of load are you guys seeing?