BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Hotlink a building into another file

Yvonne
Advocate

What is the best way to hotlink a building into another file? 

We have 2 buildings on site and we want to split the file to reduce file size and have flexibility with storey levels. Is it better to hotlink as a whole building and keep elevation as storey structure (would this lock in the levels from the module?) OR save the whole building as a gsm? and resave if the model changes?

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Yes, there will always be problems if your buildings have different storey heights.

That is why you keep the buildings in separate files, so you can document them as you want.

The site plan file can have storeys only to match one of the files, but it doesn't really matter, they can be completely different to both.

When you bring the hotlink buildings in, keep their own storey levels, so in 3D the buildings appear as they should.

Plan views of the site may be a problem if the levels of the buildings are very different, but generally you just want the overalls of the buildings and not detailed floor plans - I guess that depends on the types of plans you need to produce.

You can always overlay plan views of the buildings on the layout of the site if you need details plans of the buildings in the site plans as well.

3D and elevation/section views of the entire complex should be fine.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru

I would suggest not saving as a GSM unless you are doing a really large site plan as doing this will prevent the individual parts from responding to GOs and MVOs.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly

And I would create 3 files.

One for each building and one for the site that you bring the building modules into (keeping their storey structure).

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
k_bauschert
Enthusiast

As mentioned before, 3 files could be a good option.
One "base" file which also utilizes the layout part an 2 source files with the buildings.

To reduce the project size it is recommended to save the hotlinks as *.mod files.

AC 6,5 - 25 - (27) | GER WIN

Would there be any issues with the storeys? if the buildings have different RLs? 

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
Solution

Yes, there will always be problems if your buildings have different storey heights.

That is why you keep the buildings in separate files, so you can document them as you want.

The site plan file can have storeys only to match one of the files, but it doesn't really matter, they can be completely different to both.

When you bring the hotlink buildings in, keep their own storey levels, so in 3D the buildings appear as they should.

Plan views of the site may be a problem if the levels of the buildings are very different, but generally you just want the overalls of the buildings and not detailed floor plans - I guess that depends on the types of plans you need to produce.

You can always overlay plan views of the buildings on the layout of the site if you need details plans of the buildings in the site plans as well.

3D and elevation/section views of the entire complex should be fine.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!