BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlinked Module Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody! I am working on a residential project consisting of smaller units which I have saved as module files. They don´t seem to work properly in the host file though, especially when I try to move the modules vertically, either in 3D window or in elevation. E. g. a window slides above its wall or two stories become compressed into each other. This happens even when I use the elevate menu command instead of directly picking and moving on screen. I have already simplified the modules as much as I could, removed objects and multiple layers, and they are really not complicated, neither is the host file. Now I have run out of ideas. This started in AC12, but continues after I have moved the project to AC13.
Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? Or could this be a program failure?
Thanks in advance / Dora
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
One more illustration to the problem.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would check the Story Heights on both the Module and the Host file. They should match.
Also, I would check the Anchor setting for Windows: Sill to Wall Base or to Sill to Story X. That may have an effect on how the Window is placed vertically.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Story heights should not be a problem but the anchor reference would be. The modules should have all doors and windows placed relative to the wall base. Otherwise they will jump around like this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your replies. It does seem to have something to do with the story heights, because as long as I place the modules in plan while on 0. story, they keep on behaving properly even in 3D, they can be moved up and down without any trouble. I have noticed though when I happened to place a module in plan view story 1, the "compressed" floor occured. This must be because the stories of the module are not identically high, the middle story is 25 cm lower.
As for the window behaviour, it remains a mystery. I´ve checked the anchoring and it was from wall base, I´ve never used any other option. Now the problem hasn´t occured for a while. But before, I even had ghost extra windows in the air outside the module...
So the conclusion is that you must be careful with story heights. Am I actually not supposed to move the modules up and down once I have placed them?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Check the Home Story settings for Walls:
Is it automatic or set to another story than the one where the body of the Wall is located?
By the way, the Home Story "Automatic" feature was removed in AC13.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo. I have checked now every wall one more time. In the modules each story is the home story for the actual walls on that story, and the view option is set to Home Story Only. Then of course in the host file the heights are altered but as long as I place the modules first on 0. story in plan they work So far so good...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think next time you can avoid such problems if the Hotlinked file and the Host file are both originated from the same Template File with the correct default settings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo, I will try. What may have confused things this time is probably the altering story heights. The module has one lower story between two higher ones and this cannot always match when you place them with 1-story height difference.
Learn and get certified!