BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlinks and Design Options possible problem

Botonis
Advisor

When you add a hotlink that comes from a project with DS set,

when you import it to a new file without DS or with different DS settings, it is not visible (so far it is logical).

You can see it in the hotling manager but there is no way to alter its DS state and put in the Main Model DS.

Am I missing something here???

Greetings to all.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

What are the Design Option related settings that you set in the Hotlink Module Dialog? Can you select the Hotlinked Module and shows its settings?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

FYI: When placing Hotlinks that were previously configured to a DS option(s), the hotlink must be set to a corresponding DS option (checkbox) in the plan , otherwise, the hotlink will be placed on a non existent option and will be permanently invisible with no means of displaying it. However, when placing the hotlink, the hotlink settings dialog is first displayed and it will contain the DS options used when the hotlink was saved. You can match options up by checking the appropriate option and, if necessary, create the related options in the plan's options manager. The hotlink will then be brought in on the main model. To re-link to a option, open the settings again and select the desired option status. That method will control visibility and allow multiple hotlinks in the same space

And yes, IMNSHO, this is a bug, but when I pointed out that there is a problem in transferring element options between plans to the design team, I was told that there is no problem -- So I guess we are both wrong!!

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Thanks @poco2013 !

I realized after the second trial that you have only one chance in the first import to set it correctly.

Otherwise, in case you make a mistake, you can delete it via the hotlink manager where it is visible and repeat the process by setting the DO correctly.

The hotlink manager could have an option for "Hotlink settings" ,to fix the mistaken import, when you select one hotlink but for the moment there is not 

There could also be a warning message that the "Hotlink will not visible with current Design Options settings"  but I can live without it.....

Greetings to all.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

A Very Small Point --  The Hotlink Manager lists the types of hotlinks currently in the plan not the number of separate hotlinks. Therefore, if one successfully inserts a number of hotlinks but then, forgets, and messes up the configuration of a subsequent hotlink such that it can not be displayed, the only recourse is to delete the hotlink type which will also delete all of the correct hotlinks of the same type. This could be a problem if one is using a large number of the same type hotlinks, as in a large apartment building. This could result in the loss of a lot of work as one may not remember what was placed where. Of Course, I am just "splitting hairs", but a confusing point. OTOH - Listing all the hotlinks, including the invisible ones, may not be the best approach either as one would have to also identify which is visible (viable) or not.

IOW - This is a frustrating bug and should be fixed -- but probably won't.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Learn and get certified!