Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Internal hotlinks super slow update in 21

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

We migrated a project from 19 to 21. The project has multiple internal holinks in three layer.
Updating hotlinks was ok time wise in 19 but is dead slow in 21. Any ideas why or something that more people have experienced?

Best regards,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
21 REPLIES 21
Barry Kelly
Yes we noticed this when we made the change from 18 to 20.
One or two hotlinks are fine.
But when there are multiple hotlinks it slows quite dramatically.

I have reported this as a bug but have not heard anything back other than to use the fastest machine you can and ....
HQ have added the issue as a request #241178.
My support person tested it in 21 - this was back in February, but I haven't followed up for any further results yet.
I have been waiting until I set up 22 which I am in the process of doing now and I am yet to test this out in 22.

Maybe someone in GS (I hope you are listening ) could say if there is any resolution to this bug?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
We have fast hardware...it's definitley something wrong. We can't continue this way and will probably need to split the file into multiple. I'll bump to GS.
AC 25 SWE Full

Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Barry wrote:
I have reported this as a bug but have not heard anything back other than to use the fastest machine you can and ....
Maybe someone in GS (I hope you are listening ) could say if there is any resolution to this bug?
Hello Barry,

I took a look at the error you mentioned. The error report specifically says that from AC19 to AC20 (or above) dragging a copy of a hotlink module is the process that got slower. According to the current state of this error, it looks like there is indeed a bit of a slow-down there, but that's because the code that was processing the copying of a hotlink module was faulty in AC19 (sometimes missing elements and such), so it was fixed for AC20.

So now it works properly, but a bit slower. We are still working on enhancing speed of hotlinks overall, but I think this specific problem can't be "fixed" (since it is already a fix).
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
We migrated a project from 19 to 21. The project has multiple internal holinks in three layer.
Updating hotlinks was ok time wise in 19 but is dead slow in 21. Any ideas why or something that more people have experienced?
Mats_Knutsson,

I am not sure of the exact situation and speed differences, but it sounds like something definitely worth investigating!

If you contacted your local support about the issue, then it is in the best hands. If you couldn't send it there for some reason, then let me know, and I will try to look into it.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
dkovacs wrote:
Barry wrote:
Hello Barry,

I took a look at the error you mentioned. The error report specifically says that from AC19 to AC20 (or above) dragging a copy of a hotlink module is the process that got slower. According to the current state of this error, it looks like there is indeed a bit of a slow-down there, but that's because the code that was processing the copying of a hotlink module was faulty in AC19 (sometimes missing elements and such), so it was fixed for AC20.

So now it works properly, but a bit slower. We are still working on enhancing speed of hotlinks overall, but I think this specific problem can't be "fixed" (since it is already a fix).
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Mats_Knutsson,

I am not sure of the exact situation and speed differences, but it sounds like something definitely worth investigating!

If you contacted your local support about the issue, then it is in the best hands. If you couldn't send it there for some reason, then let me know, and I will try to look into it.

Regards,
Speed from 15 sec to 45 minutes... have no time to prepare stuff for support now but will do so asap.
AC 25 SWE Full

Barry Kelly
I have just been testing this a little more now I am setting up our version 22 template.

As a test I took a typical file, copied it and renamed it 8 times, so I have the original and 8 duplicate files.
I then opened the original file in version 18 and hotlinked in each of the duplicate files once, so I have 8 hotlink files in the original.
I saved this file and then opened in it version 20 and version 22.

I dragged a copy of the 8 hotlinks and timed how long it took to complete.

In version 18 it is consistently around 12 seconds.
In version 20 it is consistently around 16 seconds.
In version 22 the fastest I can get is 50 seconds but it can be anything up to 3 minutes 17 seconds.
I have tried 8 times now - 4 times around 1 minute and 4 times at 3 minutes or more.

Even just copying 1 hotlink file takes 10-12 seconds in 22 but only 3 seconds in 18 & 20.

So it is definitely much much slower in 22.
Even deleting the copied hotlinks is slower.

I will try to test on another machine over the weekend.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Barry,

If those numbers are correct, then that definitely seems suspicious at the least. I still couldn't reproduce it myself though, so could you send me this set of files you are testing with, so that I can try it here?

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Barry Kelly
dkovacs wrote:
Hi Barry,

If those numbers are correct, then that definitely seems suspicious at the least. I still couldn't reproduce it myself though, so could you send me this set of files you are testing with, so that I can try it here?

Thanks,
I would have to save those as PLA files as they use our custom library.

However I have just done a test using the default Graphisoft template and library to eliminate any problems with our template and library.
In version 18, I modelled 4 walls, 3 windows, 2 doors and a roof - very simple.

I then selected and saved the selection as a MOD file.
I place the mode and copied it so I had 32 instances of that module.

I then selected those 32 modules and dragged a copy.
In version 18 it takes less that 2 seconds.

I opened the same file in 22 and even allowed it to migrate the library.
To drag a copy of the same 32 modules it takes just over 25 seconds.
I repeated this several times - all the same.

I will send you a link to these files.

Thanks.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Interestingly I just tried the same simple file in my last experiment except i didn't migrate the library.
All 32 hotlinks copied in 5 seconds.

So I opened the file again and migrated the library.
Back to 25 seconds.

I opened the file again and migrated the library just to be sure and it was 25 seconds again.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
I just tried on my laptop with the same file.
Version 22 - build 4005.

No library migration is 5 seconds still but migrating library now blows out to 45 seconds.
I checked a few times with the same results.

I deleted the 22 and migration libraries so there was no library loaded at all and it was about 4 seconds.
So there is something in the library that is slowing it down even though I only used 1 door and one window object in the hotlink.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27