Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Group Settings and Attribute Update Using Attribute Manager

gdford
Advisor
  1. Version 25
  2.  From  Project-A I save out a pln of the project
  3. I open Project-B that I want to have exactly the same Layers and Layer Groups as Project-A
  4. In Project-B I open the Attribute Manager and import the attributes from Project A
  5. Then in Project-B I overwrite by Index all of the attributes from Project A
  6. Then in Project-B I look at the layer group settings for what layers are turned on and off and they do not match what layers are turned on and off in the Project A layer groups
  7. What am I doing wrong??
  8. This is driving me nuts!!
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Are you importing both the layers and the layer groups?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

yes ... i was importing both layers and layer groups and overwriting by Index... The problem seemed to be caused by other attached hotlink modules that also had layer attributes out of date...
I updated the other modules attributes and then updated the hotlinks and then updated the project attribures that was given me fits... but still had same problem. Then I removed the hotlinks and updated the project attributes and this worked - the layer groups were now correct. Then I reattached the hotlinks and all is fine... 
Surly I don't need to remove hotllinks modules and then reattach them in order to keep layers and layer groups in sync.  Is there a good white paper on managing attributes in hotlink modules?? Everytime i think i am smart about this I get my face slapped!!

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I think modules "don't have" attributes, but I haven't edited modules in separate archicad session for many years. It basically defaults to whatever previous PLN you had opened for the most part, in terms of available attributes.

In terms of managing attributes: we save modules from a separate "workspace" in our PLN, meaning we can edit in one file (just select elements and overwrite module) and only have one PLN, basically removing the need to manage attributes.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Thank you for correcting me. I apologize for the confusion. The Hotlink Modules I was referring to are published from a PLN files.  It is the PLN files that I am managing attributes between each other. I have about 10 PLN files that I publish MOD modules from that are hotlinked in to a couple of projects when needed. 

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Thanks Erwin,

I have a number of existing as-built conditions such a plumbing, electrical, structural steel, and structural concrete set up as seperate PLN projects. I publish each of these as MOD files that i hotlilnk into the Main Project. I have another furniture project and contains only furniture that is published as a MOD and linked back into the Main Project. The Main Project is also published out as a MOD and linked into the furniture project so you can see what you are doing with furniture. Most of the attribute issues are between the furniture and main projects. No doubt this has been a learning experience!!

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000