BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Migrating a Teamwork Project (v.13 or 14) to ArchiCAD 15

Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Dear All,

I think that the process of Migrating a Teamwork Project (v.13 or 14) to ArchiCAD 15 is aberrant. It is not normal to migrate each file one by one, prepare in 14 then migrate in 15, then join all of the users again.
It should be done automatically and not throwing the users out.

All users should leave all of the teamwork files and rejoin again in 15!!!

I am doing something wrong!!
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You're not doing anything wrong. This is the process we need to go through for every project. And you're right. It's massively disruptive. Everyone has to leave their projects, then you need to migrate and everyone has to rejoin.

I don't even bother with the Migrate Project function as I have found it too unreliable. I just do it the manual way of saving a solo project and re-sharing it, updating libraries, hotlinks and cleaning up older files as I go.

This is not that different to when we a new hotfix is applied. No migration is necessary as such, but it all needs to be carefully timed. Don't start me on backups.

As I say to my users, Teamwork 2 made it easier for the users, but tougher for the CAD/BIM Managers!

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
I don't even bother with the Migrate Project function as I have found it too unreliable. I just do it the manual way of saving a solo project and re-sharing it, updating libraries, hotlinks and cleaning up older files as I go.
Could you elaborate here, or in another thread, what some of the issues are with reliability of the Migrate Project wizard? I've never used it.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Not much to tell Karl. I tried using it on multiple projects in AC14 when it was first introduced and it plain didn't work. A respected GS tech supporter told me that the safest an best way is to ALWAYS save out solo projects, even for backups!

I've found it to be true. It may have matured by now and actually work, but this manual way is pretty quick.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks Link!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had great success with the migration from 14 to 15. I just completed removing all v13 projects from the BIM Server. I did not migrate those seperatly. I saved those out as a solo project and then reshared. My goal is to keep projects moving foward and to eliminate more than 3 versions of the software at a time.
Dennis Lee
Booster
I've recently upgraded 36 past projects to V15. The easiest were the V14 teamwork projects, worked like a charm - prepare for migration, load v15 library, consolidate, and just worked. The harder ones were the V10, V11 and V12 and V13 solo projects that had some old custom library parts, but only a few problems overall. I did update AC 10 through 14 to the latest hotfix and library first, and it helped a bit too, I think.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Learn and get certified!