BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Multiple revision at one time

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if there was a way to have multiple revisions running at the same time. I do a lot of MEP coordination work and will sometimes have a revision going for Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing at the same. What would be the best way to juggle this?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am not sure whether you mean Revisions or Issues.
A revision in ArchiCAD usually means all the Changes that happens to the drawing placed on a Layout between Issues.
Revisions are Layouts-specific. So if you have your Architectural plans of Story 1 on one Layout, Mechanical on another, Electrical on another, Plumbing on another, then the Revision numbering of all these Layouts will be layouts-specific.
Revisioned Layouts can be included in or excluded from Issues. So maybe you had Issue 1. Then you have Revisions on both the Architectural and Mechanical layouts of Story 1. Now you define Issue 2. You include the revised Architectural layout of Story 1 in the Issue, but not the Mechanical. You close Issue 2 (since there can always be only one Work-In-Progress Issue), then create Issue 3 and include the revised Mechanical layouts of Story 1 in that Issue.
Is this the kind of thing you wish to achieve?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply. So it seems its just the workflow that I was not doing correctly. I was creating the Issue then running into problems because I could not create a second issue. Am I correct in saying that I should just create the changes, link them to the revision on the correct layouts. Then when the Issue is ready to be publish; create it and only include the needed sheets, ie. Mechanical sheets for a Mechanical revision. Then close it so I can publish and create the next one?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, exactly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
This system works nicely if you have multiple revisions going on, but only one revision in progress on each sheet. It's easy in the Navigator or the Book Settings to exclude any Layouts from the current Issue. Then create the next Issue.

Unfortunately, you cannot produce Issues out of order, or have 2 open at once. I recently got stuck in such a situation where I was waiting on Engineers to complete a significant Revision, the number was established, and then I had to send out a couple of quick construction Revisions with a later number. I wound up reverting to text-and-object manual means.

From what I can tell, if you have two clouded areas (Changes) set up on a single Layout, and you want to only include one on the current Revision/Issue, then you can't do it without erasing and later re-drawing the other Change clouds.

I'm writing up a wishlist, and one major improvement of this tool would be enhancing the connection between the Change Manager and Issues/Revisions. It's always seemed to me like a Change should be linked directly to a specific Revision manually. Right now, the process is somewhat automatic, and inflexible. For me, I'd like a simple mode: Change = Revision = Issue.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Da3dalus wrote:
This system works nicely if you have multiple revisions going on, but only one revision in progress on each sheet. It's easy in the Navigator or the Book Settings to exclude any Layouts from the current Issue. Then create the next Issue.

Unfortunately, you cannot produce Issues out of order, or have 2 open at once. I recently got stuck in such a situation where I was waiting on Engineers to complete a significant Revision, the number was established, and then I had to send out a couple of quick construction Revisions with a later number. I wound up reverting to text-and-object manual means.

From what I can tell, if you have two clouded areas (Changes) set up on a single Layout, and you want to only include one on the current Revision/Issue, then you can't do it without erasing and later re-drawing the other Change clouds.

I'm writing up a wishlist, and one major improvement of this tool would be enhancing the connection between the Change Manager and Issues/Revisions. It's always seemed to me like a Change should be linked directly to a specific Revision manually. Right now, the process is somewhat automatic, and inflexible. For me, I'd like a simple mode: Change = Revision = Issue.
Probably one solution is to categorize your changes in layers and turn on-off the layers in the views. That way only the visible changes will be taken in consideration.
Learn and get certified!