Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Nested single story module in multistory modules generates 'invalid module' / 'missing story' errors

Paul King
Advisor
I am striking an annoying problem where I am generating a range of multi story modules, that utilize a range of single story nested modules within, for parts of each story

This all works fine when I first define the modules, with submodule positioned as needed, but when I come to update them with Hotlink Manager, get error report 'invalid module - linked story is missing' in relation to the nested modules, presumably because they have a different number of stories.

I don't want these sub modules to have multiple stories - the objects therein are only ever needed on one story, and I don't want stray objects from them appearing on stories above or below where the submodule objects are needed

Exacerbating the issue massively is the weird issue ArchiCAD has with module filenames - once a nested module has triggered any sort of issue, thereafter no matter what you do to correct the situation (including deleting every instance, or resaving and relinking to new saved copies of the that module), ArchiCAD repeats the error message when ever an attempt to place a copy of that module is made.

Saving exactly the same collection of objects as a module with another name will work fine.

Short of placing fake objects on stories above or below, so that there is the same number of stories captured in sub module definition, how do I overcome this?

Right now I am having to manually redefine from 3D window the whole master module every time any single story submodule within it changes - precisely the work that Module Manager was supposed to make automatic
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
3 REPLIES 3
Lingwisyer
Guru
If they are all single story, are they Hotlinked as single story or multistory?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Paul King
Advisor
Lingwisyer wrote:
If they are all single story, are they Hotlinked as single story or multistory?
There is no multistory hotlinking option presented when placing single story modules - though you may be on to something
It is possible some columns (which display on more than one story) that I edited in the host file and resaved again as that same module name switched the status of the module from one to two stories (or vice versa). I was trying to change the appearance of the columns when viewed from story above.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the question and I am very sorry about the issue!

I tried to recreate this issue from scratch, but unfortunately I did not encounter the same error as you mentioned. Could you share the file and the modules for further investigation? Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file also.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT