BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

New Blog Post: How best to annoy a BIM Manager

JaredBanks
Mentor
Here's my latest blog post, about one of my biggest pet peeves as a BIM Manager.

Enjoy!

http://www.shoegnome.com/?p=639 #ArchiCAD #CAD
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
3 REPLIES 3
rob2218
Enthusiast
I feel yer pain sir....really I do.
We have multiple level users here in the office. Some are BIM proficient, some, well....let's just say they shouldn't be anywhere near a computer, MAC or PC....

Some, make suggestions to the template....and that's great! Others, well....they try to take over your tasks, and start making decisions about how to name a layer, how to use the pensets, how to setup viewmaps...etc...you know the type. Those are the most dangerous of all. Others "try" to follow the templates but again....they feel "their" way is a better of doing something...

Once last comment, a template "IS" a fluid creature. it's NEVER done. Always morphing.....so, updating the so called "template" file is a never ending process.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
JaredBanks
Mentor
Agreed. It is a never ending process. But that's just it. It needs to be a never ending PROCESS.

My favorite recent comment from a user:
"I guess I should try not to add new layers."

My response:
"Yes."

Though it could have been: "Um, yeah. I promise you, there's nothing in your project that can't be handled by the template."
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
rob2218
Enthusiast
My favorite incident was when a user, fairly bright and talented kid, good...but very green...adds a layer to the file he is working that reads "Usernames layer".....

I tell him, please don't do that...dont' add layers to a project that don't follow any rational methodology. Tell me what new layers you might need, we'll discuss and maybe they can get implemented if deemed valuable.....

So...just to p!ss me off, this user types "SUPERKALOFRAGILISTIC"...as the new layer name....well, low and behold he did it as a joke. None the less, I asked him to delete that layer....he said "yeah, yeah, I'll remove it"...and he forgot...then, that project got copied to be used as another project and low and behold....that $%$#!!@ layer got carried over into a new PLN file.

I was royally p!ssed when that happened.

That's my B.I.M. manager story to share.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Learn and get certified!