BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Occupancy Calculation

gdford
Advisor

I have a custom property that is doing an Occupancy Calculation... Dividing the space area by the Occupancy Load Factor. In a schedule the result of the calculation has SqFt units - What is the most elegant way to remove the units?

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
5 REPLIES 5
poco2013
Mentor

I assume you are using a expression to do a calculation. But you probably have the data type set to area which will include units. Use STRCALUNIT(value) To convert to a string, then use TextJoin to add any annotation on the end

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

yes - I can make that work.

I will have to convert it back into a number so I can sum it in a schedule.

Thanks

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Or set the expression data type as a number and divide your calculation by 1 SqFt

i.e. (expression_calculation)/1ft2

That will change the area to a number, and you won't need to do any string conversions.

To get rid of any units you divide by 1xunit.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Converting to a raw number is another path which will definitely lead to the same result.

I assumed that the OP would ultimately want a string annotation on the end as in: "100 person max occupancy"

In that case, i still think it would be better to directly convert the area cal to a string as strcalunit() automatically lobs off the area units. Then allowing for a direct string join of the annotation on the end.   --- six vs half dozen

However, the OP did mention he wanted to sum the occupants,-- don't know why, in which case converting to a raw number is the only choice.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
gdford
Advisor

Thanks,

Yes converting to string and then back to number is what I have done in the past... Just seems like there should be a cleaner built-in way to do this.

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Learn and get certified!