Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Properties - Defining a framework to contain and manage them...

__archiben
Booster

Hi team,

Since Properties (as we know them today) have been introduced we have generally let them grow organically and 'uncontrolled' - ad-hoc and as-required on a project-by-project basis. Add in some bad copy/paste habits and you get a problem: we have Properties everywhere, duplicate, triplicate, similar Properties doing the same thing in different files.

It's time to tame them so I'm looking for any advice from heavy Properties users: how do you group them and structure them but still allow them to grow in a controlled manner? It's almost like we need a classification system to manage the Properties so that they can be assigned to a Classification System: are there any schema out there for classing information, etc, etc?

Interested in hearing any thoughts on how to do this....

~/bf

b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
3 REPLIES 3
Miha_M
Advisor

I build my template based on one localization based Archicad template. It has a basic and clear structure of properties, based and including some national and intenational standards, which are further mapped to archicad classification system and IFC entities. It's easy to upgrade such properties with new ones, if needed. The groups and their structure reasonably follow the archicad toolbox tools, with an additional general properties group, a material properties group, calculations group, etc. Not very different of what you get with out-of-the-box Archicad, but it has loads od added properties in different groups.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Thanks Miha,

Can I ask whether it's your own localisation that you're using, or whether you've looked through other localised templates and found a good one? (If so, which one?!)

~/BF

b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Miha_M
Advisor

We are in a rather small EU country which market isn't big enough to have a dedicated localisation version. I have browsed through different EU based localisation templates and found out that the GER version offers a solid base for further developing our template.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11