Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Setting up AC to document 'Stages' of work

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

what are peoples experiences with setting up ArchiCAD to document a project that will be built in 2 or more stages?

In the past I would use Layers and Layer Combinations, with Extensions of Stage 01 and Stage 02 etc, but I am now at a new larger firm which uses a lot more layers and combinations, and to copy all of these into 2 or more stages may not be the best way to go.

Just looking for suggested workflows for this situation.

Thanks,

Mike
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You could draw both stages in seperate .plns and hotlink them together in one 'master' .pln. Make two dedicated module layers like 'stage 1 module' and 'stage 2 module'. You can then create your layer combo's to include or exclude that layer. The layer of the module functions sort of like on/off switch. You might have some issues with layer intersection priorities this way. I recall having issues with that. Stuff intersecting that wasn't supposed to intersect.

This is the method with the least amount of work involved. Personally I make 'module export' layer combinations in my seperate .plns and marque my model and save a .mod file, because linking .plns also links all the sections, elevations, unwanted layers etc. I like a tidy 'master' file.

We use this setup a lot with 'large' scale residential projects, with several different buildings linked into a masterplan.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I follow the same method, almost to the letter.

Haven't experienced any intersection issues, but we have quite a sophisticated layer group number matrix that is identical between all files.

Anyway moduling is by no means perfect, but it's the best solution IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The issue I had with hotlinks and layerintersections was that the module layer (and it's intersection number) would override all the intersectionnumbers of the layers of elements contained in the module. If that makes sense.

This was archicad12, it may have been resolved since.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5