Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Simple Layer Question

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I am working along in a veiw and decided that i want to turn a couple layers off so I click and hide them through right click, or through the pallett, is there a way I can update my layer combination by what is shown on screen? Like when we used to redefine views? OR do I have to go into that Layer manager and click each layer I have decided I want off and turn off there?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the feeling that what you need is to go to the layer manager, create a new layer set in the right window and click on it. Then move to the left window and switch on or off the layers you want. You then need to update your layer set (right window).
This way you will be able to choose the layer set and this will automatically switch on or off the layers you have set.
I hope this was your question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have the left and right sides of the window mixed up here?

Thanks for your help, but I know how to do the layers that way, and that is how I make my Layer combinations- I am wondering after the fact if I can update my layer combination to reflect what is shown on my screen.
I think there isn't, with out turning them off in the dialogue box.
Bruce
Expert
No there isn't - because as soon as you select your layer combination it changes the state of the layers.

The only (inadequate) way of doing it is to create a new combination, then delete the one you want to update - but then you have to go through all your views and update them too.

It would certainly be nice to have a "Redefine from current" option!
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Bruce wrote:
The only (inadequate) way of doing it is to create a new combination, then delete the one you want to update - but then you have to go through all your views and update them too.
In the immortal words of Ron White - "I don't think so, Scooter!"

Layers are mapped to views by name, so you can simply create one with the same name and it will still be attached to the view.

It would be great to have a redefine button, and that is part of a bigger simpler GUI wish, but there is a workaround for this scenario:

Once you have hidden the layers you want, then open up the Layer Settings dialog;
Sort the layers by the Visibility column;
Select all the Hidden layers;
Click on your desired layer combination in the left pane;
Click on an open eye of one of the layers selected in the right pane, and they will all become closed (or hidden);
Update the layer combo in the left pane.
OK.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I missing something ??

Go to the layer combination you want, make changes to the layers then click on the update button at the bottom left side of the window and the layer combination you have highlighted will reflect the changes you made to the layers
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes. You're missing the part, where the layers were already changed before entering the layer settings dialog.

Cheers,
Link.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
Once you have hidden the layers you want, then open up the Layer Settings dialog;
Sort the layers by the Visibility column;
Select all the Hidden layers;
Click on your desired layer combination in the left pane;
Click on an open eye of one of the layers selected in the right pane, and they will all become closed (or hidden);
Update the layer combo in the left pane.
OK.
Link, you ARE invaluable! I never thought of that.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Tip of the day!?

Bowing in utter admirance...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yay.
Thank You.