Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Surface with different vectorial hatchings

Gerry Leonor
Advisor
not sure if this has been asked before, but i was wondering if there was a way to set up one Surface (say a paint colour, Dulux Vivid White) with multiple vectorial hatchings. If i use that one colour on a concrete tilt panel, i'd like to associate the "Render" fill for it's vectorial hatching. if i used the same colour on an external fibre cement sheet, i'd like to not have a vectorial hatch, or use the "Empty Fill" fill type.

is there a way to set this up? or do i have to have multiple Surfaces with the same paint colour just to have different vectorial hatchings?

Is there a way around this? i hate to use a 2D fill just to make this look decent. i don't want to go back to the pre-vectorial hatching days of manually editing fills (or at least knowing the existence of such a tool). -shudders-

thanks.
AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
5 REPLIES 5
alemanda
Advocate
Just duplicate the surface and assign a different vectorial hatch
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Gerry Leonor
Advisor
thanks. i've done that before. but i wanted to ask if anybody else has found another way of doing it & have avoided a large list of duplicate surfaces with small differences.
AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You could 'model' the panels by substracting small gaps from it, but that seems even more time consuming.

We work with the multiple surfaces as well. Sometimes even duplicates of the same excact same surface to stop elements from 'melting together' in views where we want a separator line to show.

The list is still quite manageable though. We have a pretty bare needs template, with the library of cinerender materials available to import any specific needs.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately there is no other way to solve this than by duplicating Surfaces.
This is because the Vectorial Fill applied is a parameter of the Surface definition. So you need to create a Surface definition with a Vectorial Fill applied and one without it applied.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I did submit a wish for a way to transfer individual sub-settings from surfaces to our local reseller that sort of ties into this. With cinerender you can have such intricate detailed settings for so many parameters it is a pain to replicate for example the reflection settings of one material onto another (say you want the same gloss effect on a painted and blank lacquer surface, or just on a wood boarding and painted surface).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5