Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Teamwork layer

Tom Krowka
Booster
Newbie Tom on Teamwork here. Trying to get some comprehension here.

I have the same layers for multiple floors. I use a marquee to pick an area I want to work in. Obviously, layers will be selected and reserved by that teamperson.

Now I go to the second floor, again do a marquee. It appears that the layers that were reserved by the marquee on the first floor preempt the use of those layers by the marquee on the secnd floor. True or false?
If true, then the marquee thing seems useless unless you have separate layers for each floor, which ain't gonna happen.

How do you deal with this? Is it the same deal with stories? Any layer on that story also is reserved?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
4 REPLIES 4
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Just so you know Tom, when signing in the usual Marquee Selection Methods (Single Floor, All Floors) have no effect.

So when you sign in with the marquee, you need to also specify which stories you want to sign in to, by selecting them under the Stories panel.

You can only sign into one marquee per teammate, which will be the same across any stories you selected above.

If someone else signs in with a marquee, they will have all the layers available to them, as long as the marquee doesn enter the worskpace of anyone else.

That's it in a nutshell. Does it answer your question?

Cheers,
Link.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Unless it has changed recently if someone chooses a single area in the middle of the building with the marquee then another single user has to draw a convoluted marquee box to cover the rest of the building.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Tom Krowka
Booster
OK, got it about the marquee. it has to be used in conjunction with the story selection. What about the layers? The marquee will reserve the workspace on that story; everything within that workspace has a layer.

Will that make those layers reserved and therefore unusable by other
teammembers the marquee floor and all other floors as well?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The layers are only assigned inside that marquee. If someone else wants to sign in and use those layers, they simply need to marquee area of their own.

Basically they cannot have conflicting workspaces. For example they can't have the same stories and layers. Similarly they can't have the same marqueed area (even if they just overlap by an inch!) and layers. The same principle applies to S/E's, details, layouts etc.

The best way to learn may be just experimenting with a practice file.

Cheers,
Link.