Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

UI Shortcuts: Please add missing function keys F13-24

Aurasphere
Advocate

I wont explain the details but would be happy to share the results.

To implement truly ergonomic UX, keypad game controllers are amazing! This needs extra channels of shortcut access

Please add this simple extension of characters

Aurasphere_0-1687904136804.png

Allows parallel mapping so that all the normal shortcuts can co exist ie using another machine without keypad

Here is an example from the button shortcuts/gestures in Cubase

Aurasphere_1-1687904337136.png

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

25 REPLIES 25
Lingwisyer
Guru

Is there a reason your are not mapping the keys in Synapse?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Archicad does not interpret fn13-24

Keypads need to still utilise qualifiers eg ctrl, shift etc.

I have created a standard keymap in Synapse for all controllers so that it works everytime...simply...well simply as poss 🙂 ie using unused keys that would collide with current assignments

I have done UI like this for many years...didnt really occur to me to use for Archicad until I really had to stop coding GDL/Grasshopper and use it to create detailed physical models...so applying the same UI logic needs the fn13-24 to get it to work.

Look at the example logic map I posted and try and do it in Archicad AND maintain parallel mapping. I still need to be in the office and walk over to diff peeps who dont have a keypad eg tartarus...I think once you look at the details...it will make complete sense as to why its needed

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Lingwisyer
Guru

Is it that you are wanting the shortcuts to be dynamic based on which tool you are using? Expecting MIDI controller functionality in a program outside of music and audio engineering is a bit much...

Is it that you are wanting the shortcuts to be dynamic based on which tool you are using? 

No not at all. UI mapping is most effecient when the underlying path is tree based just like the brain

Eg 

Button 13 is the most centric in terms of ergonomics

Using production workplace concepts, this is considered a tier 1 access and will be assigned the most highly used functions

In the case of Archicad, that would be navigation

Button 8 is the next of the tier 1 buttons

In this case, I am assigning to layers as they are probably the next most important (as most mods, inputs are by mouse/gesture/qualifier anyway)

This snip shows the layers related commands intended for this button

Aurasphere_0-1687917383759.png

1 button has 4 states eg no modifier, alt, ctrl, shift (and combinations if you want)

and

each button has 4 gestures eg single short press, single long press, double press and double press hold

In the diagram above G1-G4 are the gestures

So this trains the brain for muscle memory ie layers belong to a single button. The gestures carry tiering/sense as well so G1 will always be the first high use choice, G2 will be a positive or persistent action, double press is always a neg or inverse and double press hold is always a highly negative action

If you apply the logic to the picture above, you learn it very quickly and no longer think about it as it truly become muscle memory. 

Anyway I dont want to drag peeps through the drudgrey of detail but trust me, to go the next level with decent ergonomics and not doing hand/finger acrobatics over a keyboard...it really is a decent, cheap and easy solution 🙂 taken years to get here and study ergo along with right/left brain psychology

Expecting MIDI controller functionality in a program outside of music and audio engineering is a bit much...

Of course...Its just an example of being able to dev the UI/UX with a channel based approach 🙂 It is a control language like a keyboard...just an extension of the expression of English ie it becomes an abstract way to manage remote systems without the limitations of hijacking a keyboard.

hth

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Lingwisyer
Guru

Ah. Your original image with it's 12 variations of 3 modifiers for 4 keys had me confuse... I still do not really get what this issue is here though... Is it that you are wanting to be able to set multiple keybinds to various actions? So that you have a standand bind utilising a full keyboard, and a secondary bind that utilises combos on a key pad?

I have created a standard keymap in Synapse for all controllers so that it works everytime...simply...well simply as poss ie using unused keys that would collide with current assignments

If you are wanting AC to recognise each unique key on your key pad, I feel like this is a OS issue. I did not think that Windows or OSX recognised them natively.

Ling.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Isn't this something you setup on the software / driver side of the hardware?

I have a logitech gaming keyboard at home with a whole bunch of programmable buttons, bank switching and what not and all this is done on the software/driver side where you program each key.

Or is the problem that you are running out of hotkey options in ArchiCAD to call out with the software? Like CLTR+SHIFT T or something becomes draft a wall and you bind that to F14 on the gamepad?

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

So that you have a standand bind utilising a full keyboard, and a secondary bind that utilises combos on a key pad?

Yeah and no...pretty much you run out of key combis very quickly without colliding with the def combis, so thats one aspect but it all is able to run from the keypad

The other is logically grouping and executing in a mind friendly way without hand acrobatics...which happens very quickly

If you are wanting AC to recognise each unique key on your key pad, I feel like this is a OS issue. I did not think that Windows or OSX recognised them natively.

No, just simply need extra characters that wont collide with defaults, allow a much wider range of shortcuts, easily executed from left hand but still have ctrl etc available for mouse/key combis etc

Hope that makes sense

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Yep and yep...

Like I said...you really need to drill the details and it will make immediate sense...try it on your keyboard...almost immediately run of unique shortcuts and collide with current shortcuts.

You still need ctrl, shift etc as standalone on keypad else you need to keep stepping back between keypad and keyboard and so many other issues. On eg the example Cubase...I never have to use the keyboard.

Simply engaging the missing 13-24 is a perfect solution and Id be happy to post a video showing what it really does...its lightning...seriously and without thinking or moving hand etc so its very comfortable...it has a learning price but its well worth it. 🙂

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I've never found my keybinds lacking and modelling/drafting is thinking about what you are doing and why for a big part, at least for me. It's not mindless repetition.

To each his own though!

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5