BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC20 on Snow Leopard

Llian
Advocate
Does anyone has a problem working on AC20 with snow leopard?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
4 REPLIES 4
Llian
Advocate
I am replying my own posting..and no snow leopard doesn't work on AC20...it says El Capitan or Yosemite!

I love my current 24" iMac running smoothly with Snow Leopard for AC17...and just feeling ambivalent to part with all of it or to go for AC20...! Do I really NEED to go for AC 20...really??

And if, I need to for speed, then I am looking into new computer and which one to go that will last me for the next 6 years [like I did for the current computer]...

3.3GHz Processor
2TB Storage

3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory, configurable up to 32GB
2TB Fusion Drive1
AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

Any thoughts?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
Karl Ottenstein
I don't quite understand why you're running Snow Leopard which is a 7 year old operating system when Apple has offered OS upgrades for free and your machine would surely run El Capitan if my 8.5 year old one can? There have been 5 OS upgrades since Snow Leopard.

You are open to a variety of security weaknesses by running an old version that Apple has not maintained in years.

The only reason to run SL is if you have old Power PC (PPC) software - such as versions of AC prior to 10 - that you must be able to run. If so, best bet is to clone your hard disk to an external drive so that you can reboot to Snow Leopard should you ever need to - and then upgrade your OS.

No need to part with your iMac, just your out-of-date OS. Run Software Update to make sure you're completely up-to-date with the final SL release. Clone your drive. Then open the Mac App Store and download El Capitan.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Llian
Advocate
Thanks Karl.....how do i clone my drive?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Karl Ottenstein
You can clone using Disk Utility (format new drive, then click Restore and point to the boot drive), Carbon Copy Cloner, Chronosync and many other utilities. If you Google how to clone a Mac boot drive you'll find lots of tutorials. 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!