Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 23 freezes MacBook Pro

Keisari
Participant
Hey

Help is needed! Using Archicad 23 will freeze the entire system or crash the entire system.

I have a 15 "Macbook pro, 2018. 2.6Ghz i7, 32GB DDR4 memory and Raedon Pro Vega 16. 4GB. MacOS Catalina operating system 10.15.7. Without an external monitor Archicad 23 works great.

I use one or two external monitors (24 "dell and 27" BenQ) connected from the Thunderbolt 3 port with an adapter to the monitor's minidisplay or hdmi connector

Archicad crashes easily or usually the whole system freezes when I connect one or two external monitors with resolutions higher than 2560x1440. Crashes and freezes also occur at this lower resolution, but only about once a day. Archicad may run for a long time until it either crashes or freezes your entire system quite occasionally. I have tested also using the iMac 27 "(late 2012) as an external monitor. But the crashes also occurs.

I have updated the operating system, as well as the ArchiCAD. Advanced redraw settings are also set to off, and hardware acceleration and memory usage are set to a lower value. Here is one older bug report: AC23-2020-08-18-19-02-57-1962. (18.8.2020)
When using Archicad on a machine, the Raedon ProVega graphics card appears to be in use. This annoying bug has started with the introduction of Archicad 23 in the Mojave operating system.
4 REPLIES 4
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the experience!

From the description, it looks like there is an issue with the graphics card. I would like to suggest disabling card switching from the system. Please follow the guide here: https://osxdaily.com/2017/01/08/disable-gpu-switching-macbook-pro/
and let me know if it helps with the issue!
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Keisari
Participant
Ok, thanks for the reply!
I will test as instructed using only a more powerful graphics card. I'll let you know later....
Keisari
Participant
Hello

Using a more powerful video card did not help the problem. Archicad crashed after 5 minutes of use (higher resolution and two archicads on startup).
I don't know if there will be a solution with future updates? The fault is very annoying.

Archicad knowledgebase would suggest this:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/133933/
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

First of all, Happy New Year! May the New Year bless you with health, wealth, and happiness!

Thank you very much for the information and I am very sorry for the late reply due to holiday season.

As you pointed out, this could be a heap corruption case. The article was made late in December about the workaround to avoid these crashes from happening. Please follow the guide from the article you mentioned and let me know if it helps with the issue!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT