Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad on 2021 MacBook Pro M1 16"

JiriAus
Participant

For the benefit of others: I bought the new MacBook Pro M1 16" (10-Core CPU 16-Core GPU 16GB Unified Memory 512GB SSD), to replace my 2019/20 base MBP 16".

In short, my Archicad 23 solo UK runs 5-20% slower on the new mac in practically all common operations. 3D navigation shows large square artefacts where surfaces align and is noticeably jerkier compared to the fluent performance on the previous Mac.

On top of that, Monterey stubbornly insists Twinmotion is malware and also returns crash messages each time I close Archicad. (On both the new and the previous Mac.)

In AC25 int trial, no Twinmotion or closing crash message. Speed not tested, though safe to assume it will be also slower.

My advice: don't upgrade. I will review when AC releases native M1 version. (If they do.)

Besides, the new Mac looks and feels cheap. My wife thought it looked like an old Acer. The top menu bar is larger and takes up more screen space, for no reason, as the notch is smaller. You still need to carry dongles as no USB-A. Keyboard is chunky. Thanks goodness that the control strip is gone though! Overall, Apple is finally close to having repaired the disastrous damage done by Jony Ive to functionality, but, losing its design edge at the same time.

I'm returning the new Mac today and installing BigSur back on my old laptop.

Jiri, registered architect
3 REPLIES 3
furtonb
Advisor

AC23 was released when macOS Catalina (or Mojave?) was out. Since then we had Big Sur then Monterey, which is installed on your machine.

Based on the GS article dealing with macOS Monterey:

"We are actively working on maintaining the compatibility of Archicad 24 and 25 with macOS Monterey. Please note that Archicad 23 and earlier versions will not be compatible with the next-generation operating system."

Source: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/MacOS-12-Monterey/ta-p/309154

I'm still looking forward to the official GS tests, which are not yet done...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Performance-review-with-M1-Pro-and-M1-Max...

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
zaIT
Contributor

I notice the latest update is Archicad-25-INT-Update-5005-1.0-INTEL. Is there a beta for M1 chip?

Not that I know of - would be nice, though...

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64