Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CPU not running at 100% ? why ? (Archicad 25)

Kenni Bach Andersen
Contributor

So I am making a elevation model from contour lines... and there is alot of lines, with a 1m spred...

(its a 5k square)

What i am doing is, i have made mesh shape, over a worksheet containing my contour lines...

With my Wand, i am picking out every single line, and making them in to lines in my mesh, for later elevating them, but in doing this... my PC is using 30sec or more on every line i "Wand´er up" in to my mesh... and my PC is only using 20% CPU ??? if this is so hard for Archicad to do, that it uses that long on every line, WHY dos the program not use 100% CPU, with every Wand command ? (why is it so slow going ?)

Am I making any sens...?

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you see CPU usage at 100% it means that your computer is using all cores of its CPU to the max. There are few types of applications that can utilize the processor to such a degree. Two examples would be 

1. Generating a rendering with CineRender in Archicad.

2. Generating a mp4 video with a videó editing software.

These are both processes that can be parallelized easily. However, most applications (Archicad included) cannot utilize the CPU to that degree all the time, it is just a software engineering fact and it would be unrealistic to expect Archicad to do it. However, there are certain types of operations where Archicad does utilize multiple cores:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Multiprocessing-and-ARCHICAD/ta-p/303631

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Another piece of info is that unfortunately, the Mesh tool can have performance issues when there are many Mesh points in it. If you have thousands of Mesh points then I think there can be issues.

You could try to simplify the contours that you Magic Wand to generate fewer Mesh points, or you might want to consider modeling the terrain out of multiple Mesh elements, not a single one.

In that case I would suggest subdividing the Mesh into multiple pieces vertically, so one Mesh element would model a vertical range of the terrain (e.g., from 0 to 20 m, another from 20 to 40 m in height, and so on) because that will still result in correct 2D and 3D representation for the whole terrain. If you subdivide it horizontally, you will see the lines where the Meshes join in both 2D and 3D.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

my PC is a Xeon E5-1620 v3 c.5GHz (have no idér if thats good or not) 32GB ram and a Quadro K2200 4GB GPU, seems a bit **beep**... all so running on a SSD, but not a super fast one.