BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CPU or GPU for rendering?

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello,
i'm in the search for new notebook up to price 700 eur, and i have a dilemma which one to buy.
so, I have few questions:
1st: is it more important to have more cpu cores or better gpu for faster rendering in archicad, artlantis, lumion etc.
2nd: some i7 cpu comes with only 2cores and others with 4 cores. is there significant difference?
3rd: how important is number of threads, because i saw AMD cpus with 4 cores and 4 threads, unlike the i7 which has 4 cores and 8 threads

Thank You very much!
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
From what I can see, and from carefully selecting my GPU to run on artlantis in windows;

http://www.artlantis.com/en/support/faq/questions/show/1215

This link suggests that Artlantis 6 must use the GPU.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That link shows you only how to use the Dedicated GPU (NVidia or AMD card) instead of the integrated GPU (GPU on the Intel CPU - much less performance).
This does not mean that Artlantis is using the GPU instead of the CPU for rendering.

The application uses the GPU all the time to display stuff in 3D while you edit materials, change viewpoint, place lights, etc. That does not mean that it is using the GPU specifically when creating the Rendered image.
The application must be specifically written to use the GPU instead of the CPU. This usually results in "real-time" rendering.

For example, OctaneRender is using the GPU for rendering. Look what its wikipedia page says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_Render
Octane Render is a real-time 3D unbiased rendering application that was started by the New Zealand-based company Refractive Software, Ltd and OTOY took over on March 2012. The first non-beta stable version, v1.0, was released on 28 November 2012 and later versions of Octane Render continue to be deployed as a Web release software. It is the first commercially available unbiased renderer to work exclusively on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and has the ability to work in real time. This allows users to modify materials, lighting and render settings “on the fly” because the rendering viewport updates immediately whenever a change is made. Octane Render runs exclusively on Nvidia's CUDA technology (which restricts it to running on video cards from Nvidia) although Octane Render 3.0 is planned to remove this restriction.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel like I wasted all that money on a top-spec graphics card.
I had a look at Octane, and while I love integration in ArchiCAD, I am not so keen on the interface or workflow.
Oh well, Artlantis really needs GPU-base. Now.
Maxwell Render 4 - coming very soon will render with GPU. Upgrades are for sale now.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

alemanda
Advocate
Lumion uses gpu so if you're going to use lumion you must have a fast Nvdia Gtx card.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Learn and get certified!