Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

DO NOT INSTALL JAVA UPDATE 3 ON MAC

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We have found that installing the latest "Java for Mac OSX 10.6 Update 3" (this one) causes numerous problems for ArchiCAD:

- In ArchiCAD 13, you will not be able to save/publish to PDF format anymore
- You will not be able to submit crash reports anymore (both on 13 and 14)

If you have not installed this update yet, please do not. We are working on finding a solution in case you already did.

I'll keep you posted on this problem
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
30 REPLIES 30
owen
Newcomer
Hmm .. is this:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/Java/JavaSnowLeopardUpdate3LeopardUpdate8RN/New...

going to pose a problem for ArchiCAD? Assume Java will disappear from OSX as of 10.7 early next year (i.e not installed with). Either Sun or a 3rd party will need to develop an OSX version of Java as this will no longer be provided by Apple.
"As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the Java runtime ported by Apple and that ships with Mac OS X is deprecated. Developers should not rely on the Apple-supplied Java runtime being present in future versions of Mac OS X.

The Java runtime shipping in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, will continue to be supported and maintained through the standard support cycles of those products."
cheers,

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
All the details of this problem are documented in this wiki article:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/CannotSavePdfAfterJavaUpdate

GRAPHISOFT is working on releasing a Hotfix for ArchiCAD 13 and 14 as soon as technically possible.
Gergely Kmethy
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We have solutions for the Java problem now. Download the Patches for:
ArchiCAD 13
ArchiCAD 14
Gergely Kmethy
Anonymous
Not applicable
That was fast, thanks a lot!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is GS working on a fix for ArchiCAD 12? It would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to uninstall this Mac update?

Thank you,
Doug
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It is not possible to uninstall updates on a Mac. We will fix it in 12 and 11 too in some way, we are working on the details.
Gergely Kmethy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm looking forward to a fix for us laggards (still using AC 11 or 12).

I had got the idea that uninstalling on a Mac can't be done, but I thought I'd check here anyway.

Doug
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Gergely:

One of the posts on this bug mentioned OSX 10.5, but I do not see it now. Is OSX 10.5 not affected? I have avoided this Java update to date.

Thanks,

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We originally thought 10.5 is also affected (same update was released for 10.5), but our investigation revealed that it is not. So, 10.6 only.
Gergely Kmethy