Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

File Finder Dialog Very Slow AC22 Mojave

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am experiencing a very frustrating slowness whenever I activate a command that requires a 'Finder' dialog box since upgrading to Mojave. Example commands where this occurs are; Open, Save, inserting files, setting publishing file paths, etc.
The dialog appears on the screen promptly, without delay, but then there's a freeze of about 3-5 seconds. And this happens each time I change levels in the folder structure.
My files are mostly cloud based (Dropbox), but I am not experiencing this behaviour in other applications - so I assume it's an ArchiCAD issue.
9 REPLIES 9
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I recall something like that happening to me before, but I can't see that anymore. Maybe it is because I am on the latest ARCHICAD update (build 4023). Have you tried that?

Also, if that by itself doesn't help, maybe check out the suggestions from this article as well:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/75345/

(it seems to be unrelated, but who knows...)

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Eduardo Rolon
I am seeing this too constantly on 4023 and tried the recommendations from the article without success.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the suggestions.
I believe I am on the current versions of both Macos (10.14.2) & Archicad 22 (Build 4023).

I have used the suggested fix on a previous (unrelated) problem - on that occasion it worked. Unfortunately after trying the same fix this time, the problem persists.

Dave
Marian Pristavu
Booster
Same problem for me. Latest Archicad build and Mojave. Did you find the solution?
Eduardo Rolon
Found a possible solution but to narrow down what was the correct item you could try, closing AC and going into System Preferences -> Security and Privacy-> Privacy, and uncheck every single item for AC then restart.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
That seems to have fixed it!
I just tested a few commands that use a Finder dialog - Open, set publishing path, import surface jpg image - all worked without the freeze I had been getting in the Finder dialogs.

Thank you very much Ejrolon!!
DGSketcher
Legend
I have for the second time followed Daniel's link recommending resetting the user folder to cover a possible conflict between the Apple HFS+ and APFS introduced with Mojave. It looks like this time it has worked, but I did also do a cold boot following the folder reset (renaming) before launching AC. There was a bit of an initial long delay but this was probably down to rebuilding the missing folder.

On the System Preferences front I declined any interaction when requested, as I thought it was a bit odd for AC to be making these requests. At present I have noted requests to access my Contacts, Calendars and Photos, all of which are unticked.

I will report back if further file access problems are encountered.

I am at this time running AC22 5003 UKI FULL on a 27" iMAC Late 2013 8Gb Ram with OSX 10.14.2
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Everyone,

We have done some tests with ejrolon (and really, a huge thanks to him, he was a great help!), and as he mentioned we have found that revoking access from ARCHICAD in the Security settings makes the issue go away. We have tested this with others who experienced the same issue, and it seems to be working so far.

We are looking into whether we can avoid this state ever occurring in the first place, but in the meantime, we wrote an article about this, so if anyone runs into this issue again, it should be easier to find the solution:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/86575

Thanks again for the help and the input. I hope this will help everyone here.

Kind Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Marian Pristavu
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
Found a possible solution but to narrow down what was the correct item you could try, closing AC and going into System Preferences -> Security and Privacy-> Privacy, and uncheck every single item for AC then restart.
Thank you! This saved my life!