Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Files not always generating .lck file and not showing as occupied

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, we have a project with several archicad files, multiple houses, floor plan modules etc. and a teamwork file. And we have an issue with this particular project: often times Archicad won't generate a .lck-file and won't mark the file as being in use! This means a user can have the file open, and when another user tries to open the same file no warning is shown, and both users can have the file open at the same time, and save and overwrite each other.

Usually when we open a file Archicad creates a file with the same name +.lck in the same folder, so it is visible which files are occupied, and if someone tries to open one of those it asks to open read only/exclusive access etc. With this particular project and these files sometimes (not always) this doesn't happen.

We have tried to re-save the files and replace the old ones, and check if they are read only or something in Windows, but the problem has persisted. As far as I know it only happens in this project.

Is this something anyone has experienced before, or have any ideas how to approach the problem? Maybe there is some setting or parameters within the Archicad file, or something in Windows? We keep the files on a shared local server.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Is the second user opening straight after or is there some time between? Might your file server be timing out the first user? There is a user timeout setting on Windows Server that can be increased if that is the case.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
schagemann
Enthusiast
Do you know what type of server you are using as your file server?

Although we mainly use macOS clients and SYNOLOGY servers, we have recently seen issues with SMB and MS Office files not creating locks files.

Also have you tried creating a new AC file, and then seeing if that has the same problem?
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
PVBergkrantz
Expert
It can pass time between the users opening, several hours so it's not because of some delay.

I do not know what kind of server we are using, I'll try to find out. Some windows based at least.

A parallell problem is that sometimes when it has created a .lck-file it doesn't remove it even when the file is closed, so when opening that file the user is asked to open as read only or with exclusive access even though nobody eles has it opened. One of our users are still using Windows 7, could this have something to do with it?

As far as I know it is only with this project it happens. We tried saving copies of the files and that seemed to work for a while but now the problem is back, although since it doesn't always happen it is tough to say if it really did something.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Lingwisyer
Guru
I would say that it is something on your server side. Once you know what your hardware setup is like, maybe ask over on StackExchange: Superuser?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for the reports and I am very sorry about the issue!

In most cases, this could happen due to some errors in the server. As Ling suggested, I would definitely check the server first. Also, have you tried to work with this specific file locally? It would be a good way to confirm whether the server is faulty or not.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT