Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Gaming or professional video card

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear members

I'd like to ask is it really worth spending 40% more for a professional video card or is using a gaming one will be good. I'm thinking of buying a new workstation. Never had pro card before. As I see the archicad video card recommendations and tested card I'm confused. They say the pro is the way but at the bottom of the page where you can see the test results of the cards you can also see that there's not too much difference between quadro p1000/ amd radeon pro wx4100 and rx 560. The last one is 2/3 in price.

So is it worth buying a pro video card?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
If going for a consumer card I’d be looking at new RTX2080 Ti as it outperforms workstation cards several times it’s price in most tests and will only improve as more apps and drivers take advantage of new hardware and instructions, this is an expensive card ($1850 AUD) but much less that quadro p5000 ($2900 AUD).
Gamer Nexus has a recent video where they compare Pro and consumer cards
that should be of some help.

Regards
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Scott

That's seems a good card although I'm not planning to spend so much. My budget is around quadro p1000 and amd radeon pro wx4100 or equivalent in gamer card. My real question is archicad really works better with a professional card or that's just a marketing and you can have the same result w the good gamer card as well...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg,
I wouldn’t go with the readon cards, their performance is sub par typically (look at results in video linked). A sub $400 AUD graphics card whether professional or gaming would be underpowered for any ArchiCAD model of complexity as it would not have enough memory, you really need 8gb of memory to have any longevity, you can pick up an EVGA GTX1080 off eBay for about $500 AUD ( the 1070 is a significant step down in performance).

As a critical piece of your work system I wouldn’t skimp on hardware as it pays for itself many times over and of course it is a tax deduction

Scott